• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 207 in an '87 XJ?

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
From wikipedia:
Transfer cases

All the transfer cases used on the Cherokee were chain driven with aluminum housings. Command-Trac was standard on XJ models built with 4WD.

• 1984 – 1987 : New Process NP207 "Command-Trac", part-time only, 2.61:1 ratio with low range
  • 1987 – 2001 : New Process NP231 "Command-Trac", part-time only, 2.72:1 ratio with low range
  • 1987 – 2001 : New Process NP242 "Selec-Trac", full-time/part-time, 2.72:1 ratio with low range
I had always interpreted that chart.. as meaning that beginning in '87 the NP231 was used.

However in the latest issue of JP Magazine. The one that has an article about NAXJA's Cherokee Bash. In the transfer case guide article it says that the NP207 was in the '87 XJ and the NP231 started in '88. I have an '87 XJ ( Its 4 hours away right now) and an '89 parts XJ.. so I guess if I do have a NP207 I could swap them... but..

Is the magazine wrong? Page 34.

I looked at my references and got the same years as what you posted.

I would interpret it as 87 was the change over year and you could find either one in an 87 XJ.

The T-case in the -87s could swing either way. The consensus around here is most of them ended up with to -231(there was a thread a couple years ago) 'Only way to tell for sure is to crawl under it.

A bigger question is what transmission is in it. If you have the 5-speed, it's the ever popular Peugeot BA10-5

I have an AW4.. and a D44. If it ends up that have the NP207.. is it inferior enough that I should swap in the spare NP231? probably 31's are the largest tires I'll ever run.. and a limited slip rear, and locker in the front.

The 207 is fine, but not as good as the 231.

I have seen several 2.8L pop up at the parts yard recently one has an auto tranny of some sort...definetely not an AW4 with a 207 on it.

That auto behind the 2.8L is a TC909 or a TC904 3 speed Chrysler.

Back