• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud A/C compressor on cold starts

viperbluelx

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed that when i start my Jeep cold and the defrost or a/c is on then the compressor makes a loud noise and sorta vibrates the whole front of the Jeep. It's loud enough to make passengers ask what's going on. After about 30 seconds it goes away and never does it again till the next cold start. The pressures are good and it blows cold. Does it need oil maybe?

might wanna make sure its not gonna seize up on you before going far from home.... if it does seize, you are not going nowhere w/o a serpentine belt...
vibration in a belt driven system = bad.

you didnt state which year, so i cant figure out which compressor you have, but i wouldnt be able to help more anyway, ive pulled my a/c system and replaced it w/ an alternator anyways.

...maybe take the belt off, and see if theres any play in the pulley?
not sure how this would work w/ the a/c, as it has a clutch....

Are you sure its not the fan clutch? Mine does that to then when it releases its fine.

OK just wondering, i didn't think about it with the AC on! :doh: I only use my AC when its above 90 or really humid.

Back