• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autozone u-joints (front driveshaft)

Mullet Man

NAXJA Forum User
i'm doing a hack+tap and am going to replace the u-joints for good measure.
whats the general consensus on the Duralast brand u-joints that AZ sells?
they are right around $10 a piece and normally stocked on the shelf (cheap and easy to come by).

they have a couple different part numbers...
red seal
http://www.autozone.com/R,1148480/v...partType,00178/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

and this with a yellow/gold seal....
http://www.autozone.com/R,1324552/v...partType,00178/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

anybody have any input or product info that the counter monkeys wont be able to answer?

I don't think their heat treating processes are quite up to snuff, or the grade of steel is wrong.

along time ago they had a lifetime warranty. I used to buy them 5 at a time. I broke them about every 3rd hard ride. I would switch them out on the trail. Do it often enough you get good at it. After a half dozen trips the part guy would just put 5 on the counter when I came in. Those first 5 were the only ones I every bought.

I always wanted my u-joint to be the weak link in my drive line. I would much rather break one of those then an axle...

Just one data point from a jeeper and now returning noob

Coop

Find a Splicer dealer and stay away from junk u-joints.
Your local drive-shaft shop will have them or bu them on-line.

From personal experiences, I have learned that a broken U-joint can do a LOT of damage.

What about the Brute Force brand are they a good choice?

I usually get Brute force from AZ, unless I'm around somewhere that sells Spicer.

for the u-joints in the dual cardan use the ones with out that grease fitting thing i had experences of them hitting the side of that cardan carrier and poping off and all the grease comes out

Find a Spicer dealer and stay away from junk u-joints.

X our national debt.

Why anyone would want to spend trail time replacing sub-par(but lifetime waranteed!!!!!!) parts is beyond me. Spend a few more bucks on the good stuff and actually enjoy wheeling for years. :doh:

get quality (generally american made) units... dana/spicer, I think eaton still makes ujoints, I think tom woods offers some waterproof ones.

The greasable ones are not as strong (passages reduce strength) but the bearings have a longer service life than the nonserviceable ones.

Back