• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After Cat 02 Location

black2door

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I am replacing my after cat 02 sensor. Is the after cat the one next to the oil pan? I dont see another one anywhere. If its not next to the oil pan where is it?

THANK YOU

In the rear of the CAT on my 96. Just follow thw wires down to the rear of the CAT. Mine was broken off completely and was hanging by the wires.
I did have some trouble finding a O2 sensor with the proper plug for mine, which leads me to believe somebodies book may be a bit off, just for info (dealer likely has the right one, some after market may have a listing problem).

Okay I went and looked and saw that when the previous owner installed an exhaust on the jeep they put new pipe and a muffler straght after the cat and when they did they just took the after cat sensor and zip tied it up to the brake line. I plan on getting a cat back sometime in the future, is it bad to run with no rear sensor or can I drive it and be fine.(gas milage) I thought this was wierd.

I ran without mine for awhile, it didn't seem to affect performance at all. Though the wife (it's her XJ) did mention her mileage dropped.
It is mainly there to make sure there is sufficient oxygen for the catalytic conversion process to be as complete as possible. You'd likely flunk a sniffer test.

The correct converter will have a bung for the sensor welded in the cat.They must have replaced it with a generic cat.
Wayne

black2door said:
Okay I went and looked and saw that when the previous owner installed an exhaust on the jeep they put new pipe and a muffler straght after the cat and when they did they just took the after cat sensor and zip tied it up to the brake line. I plan on getting a cat back sometime in the future, is it bad to run with no rear sensor or can I drive it and be fine.(gas milage) I thought this was wierd.

Back