• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help track bar not bolting up

sjbond67

NAXJA Forum User
i just got done putting spacers up front, everyting bolted in fine (sway bar needed some convincing), except for track bar at axle mount. what did i do wrong? its about a 1/4 away from the hole. 99xj

If you went with much lift you will have to redrill the hole for the trackbar mount. This will keep the axle centered under the jeep. How high did u go?

Is it the factory track bar? You might need to drill another hole at the axle mount (that's what was recommended for my lift).

Edit: Beat me to it :D.

Make sure the body is centered over the axle before deciding what to fix.

If you don't feel like drilling you can line up the holes by turning the steering wheel untill aligned. Tires must be mounted and sitting level.

i only used re 2" spacers... however my center of the wheel to fender flare says its 20.5 so thats 3 inches right? i put the tires back on, backed it up and moved it forward and its still about a 1/4 off. how do i know if the body is level over the axle? or not?

the holes line up if i turn the wheels all the way to the left but tie rod is in the way and cant get bolt in

You will be off center if you use the stock hole, probably about 7/8". It will drive O.K. just not great.

To realign the trac bar to the stock hole, I use a wratchet strap from the axle (opposite the track bar axle mount) to the frame (on the opposite side from the frame mount). Just crank it down untill the hole lines up. Put the bolt in and tighten it up and remove the strap.

This will get you by untill you can get a adj. trac bar.

Did you try to hook up the trackbar while the Jeep was on level ground? I just re-installed my stock trackbar (I have 2" spacers up front as well) and it bolted right up. The weight of the Jeep needs to be on the front end when you tighten that trackbar bolt.

Mambeu said:
Did you try to hook up the trackbar while the Jeep was on level ground? I just re-installed my stock trackbar (I have 2" spacers up front as well) and it bolted right up. The weight of the Jeep needs to be on the front end when you tighten that trackbar bolt.

at first i didnt, then i realized that i should put the tires on and back it up and pull forwar a little bit. it still didnt line up.. but then again for some weird reason im up 3 inches (front was up 18.5 after i installed rear up country leafs, front coils are stock, yea i know doesnt make since to me either) so apparentley that was too much for the stock track bar sooo
what i ended up doing was sticking the bolt in at an angle while the wheels were at full lock to the left, letting the bolt sit on the tie rod, smacking it a couple of times with a hammer carefully, turned the wheel back to center, then tapped the bolt in until it would be in the way of the tie rod, turned the wheels all the way back to the left, then threaded it back in place with the nut. thought i would write that out for future references anyone looking. thanks for the help tho guys

Back