• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-Arching Springs w/ hydraulic Press

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I'm taking the lift off of my parts jeep.. I have no idea what kind of lift it is. Right now the motor is out of the parts jeep so it is sitting really high in the front so I have no idea if it will sit level or not.
I think the lift.. judging by the rust on the bolts.. and other age indicators has been installed for a long time. I was thinking about re-arching the springs on a hydraulic press to alleviate any sag.. However.. I've heard that this will only last a short time.. and in the long run will make the spring degrade faster.. Opinions?

Last edited:
I think there is more involved in re-arching springs than just pressing them into a tighter arch.
I would think some heat, tempering is involved.
Even if there isn't, as you said, its short term, weakens the leafs and is generally a temp fix.

While you have them apart, why not grab some leafs pack and build a bastard pack?

It may even be a bastard pack.. there are at least two more leaf's than my stock XJ has.. It's going to be my DD to I want to try to keep the ride decent. So I'm reluctant to go to a put together a bastard pack.. if they ride like crap I may get some OME's for the rear.

After a week or two (maybe even a day esp. w/trails) they will sag worse then they sit now.

After a week or two (maybe even a day esp. w/trails) they will sag worse then they sit now.

That's the general rub on re-arching leaf packs. I wouldn't waste the time and effort, build a bastard pack or buy another pair of new leafs.

Grab some exploder leaf packs from the junk yard,cut to match your pack, and slip one of the longer leafs in your pack. two of the longers ones if needed, but probably not necessary if your just looking to level it out.don't use the main leaf from it, just the secon or third if necessary. S 10 would work also.

Back