• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy Idea for a sixth passenger...

MikeRiv

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about taking a jump seat out of a ford ranger or similar pickup truck and making a bracket that could make it safely attach to the spare tire mount. It would be kinda neat for short trips when a six passenger wants to take along, otherwise it could fold-up and stay out of the way. What do you guys think?

I know ive seen a 3rd row seat on here before. Ill try searching for some links.

I think the third row would be kinda cramped. One extra seat that puts the passenger in a lounging across the trunk position would be pimp and not block my rear view as much...

ah your saying one extra seat lol. When i thought 6 seats i didnt think of the back seat to carry 3 people. I dont remember the last time there were 3 people in my back seat.

I say its doable but then it would somewhat eliminate your cargo space.

Im really thinking about it... When the weather clears up im going to hunt around the wrecking yards to see if anything strikes me.

Something like a Toyota or Ranger rear extended cab seats. Those might work.

sweet idea... not for me but i think it is very do able and i don't think it would be that hard at all.

jesse

Maybe I'm crazy, but in looking at my tire mount (basically just a tab on the sheetmetal) and the roof, I'm thinking that's the worst possible place for another seat.

Maybe I'm crazy, but in looking at my tire mount (basically just a tab on the sheetmetal) and the roof, I'm thinking that's the worst possible place for another seat.
You read my mind...especially if you have junk laying around back there :roll:

well to his defense it would probably be accommodated to fit another seat and if someone is sitting back there junk should probably be clean... that goes for any seat someone is sitting at. so it would be made safe..

everything is legal and illegal in Kommiefornia

If you wanted to do this, you'd probably want to HEAVILY reinforce the surrounding unibody for both the set and a seatbelt. As far as the seats go, I can confirm there is definitely enough room for a sixth passenger back there...

:eyes: I mean, not that I would know from having anyone back there on a short trip or anything like that before :eyes:

Then again, on that trip, I think the sixth passenger would have been the least of his concerns...

Probably be better off putting it on the other side.

Driverside, where the spare was, you'll run into the gas filler tube.

Passenger side will give you a lot more room to work, tying into the structure.

Robert

Unless your passenger is a an adult under 3' tall, this is a horrible idea. The reason this works in a pickup truck is because the floor pan is lower. The gas tank for a pickup truck sits underneath the bed, behind the cab. Since the XJ gas tank is underneath the cargo area, the floor is much too high for someone to sit safely. In order to pull this off right, you'd need to move the gas tank and lower the floor, or increase the roof height like a Land Rover Discovery.

I think this is an awesome idea. I've ridden in the cargo areas of tons of different SUVs and vans, some smaller than the XJ. I'm 5'7" and I would definitely be able to fit if a seat were mounted at an average height. it also allows the passenger to stretch out.

here's a very rough photoshop i did to demonstrate that there would be enough legroom. I couldn't find a good photo of a jumpseat, so it'll obviously look a little different.

2rgp4rm.jpg

check out a land rover discovery my bro has an 01 that has two fold out seats in the cargo area and when they are folded up they hardly take up any room

I remember mu uncle had an older toyota that had the fold up seats in the back too. Might be easier to find one of those to tear the seats out of than a more expensive landrover..

Back