• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any feed back on teraflex grand up rear conversion

You won't find any feeback here as this is the "Advanced Fabrication and Engineering" forum. We don't buy lift "kits" we build them.

good call big dog i guess asking a group of guys that have already reviewed existing setups and there pros and cons enough to consider them selves knowledgable and skillful enough to improve upon them. i guess askng them how this kit holds up is a mistake.. i guess ill have go ask the newbies about something they know nothing of. i appreciate the redirection.

a_boy_named_sue said:
good call big dog i guess asking a group of guys that have already reviewed existing setups and there pros and cons enough to consider them selves knowledgable and skillful enough to improve upon them. i guess askng them how this kit holds up is a mistake.. i guess ill have go ask the newbies about something they know nothing of. i appreciate the redirection.

I have only known ONE person to have run that kit. He said it is a POS and will be redesigning it shortly. Right Lincoln? :D

-Mike

a_boy_named_sue said:

Some of these turd monkeys can be asses. But he has a point, you may get more feedback from Mod Tech.
BTW who the hell lives in Indio?? :D
Rick R

a_boy_named_sue said:

I'll just leave this here for a while, and we'll see if you're right.
Billy

a_boy_named_sue said:

For the record, and I'll leave the modding up to Billy, this type of post belongs in Mod tech. Advanced tech is specifically NOT for bolt on kits and bumpers and stuff like that.

Personally, I haven't run a rear coil setup, so I can't answer your question.

I can't decide whether to ruin this thread or actually contribute. Pondering. Just do like Jes and borrow a forge to make your own set of springs. :D

I can't say the kit has been all bad. I think there are better ones out there now and you can definately build something much better than the Tera. I've spent a lot of time looking and punching numbers to figure out what I want, what doesn't work on the Tera stuff I'm running, and where I want to be after changing it. I've been working on changing it out for almost 3 years now and never get around to it so it can't be that completely horrible.

Drawbacks:
High anti squat which contributes to to lifting the left front tire on high traction and torque situations.
Low and steep roll axis which causes sidehills to be completely scary and it makes you feel like you're riding a bobble head some days.
Spring rate is a little low.
Lots of rear steer. This even somtimes helps but it can cause it to wiggle down the road and in high speed rough stuff it can get twitchy. I don't think I notice it as much because I've driven it so long. Also I deal with tire fitment issues because of the tire turning.
Control arms mount below the frame. If they catch at all you're done, they work like a backwards hook.

I've ran this a little over seven years and it has treated me ok. I got tire of trying to get the leaf springs working the way I wanted. I would get a set of springs plush enough for what I was doing and they wouldn't hold up and then get them to hold up and I didn't like how stiff they were. I'm sure if I bought a set of custom National's or Deaver's I would have never gone this route.

I added some air bags in the coils that I can adjust as I go and that has help a bunch. I also have a sway bar that Tera sent me but I never did get it installed. When I look at how many variations other people have gone through with their leaf springs and how mine has basically stayed the same for those years I can't really complain. I've added the air bags and changed shocks and changed axles. I just want more and I have a better understanding of suspension design than I did even 3 years ago.

I'm not really a fan of any of the coil coversions on the market and a big chunk of the leaf springs available. There are a lot of compromises with a link setup when dealing with a full body rig and to make a kit adds a lot more.

We'll see how Goatboy likes his rear three link and lots of travel at speed. I give it 6 months. :D

Oh and they are correct, this belongs in the Mod forum Billy. Unless he's trying to use that as a design to build his own, it's mod.

And as a leaving note I'll post a pic. This is a couple of fags, watching and taking the pic, admiring my link.
standard

Nice hat.

Haven't seen this kit in person. However I installed and slightly modified the Claytons 8" rear coil conversion on my XJ and I have to say so far I am very pleased. I wouldn't steer anyone away from it. It drives great on the street and on the trail it couldn't be descibed. It works better than I ever imagined.

Back