• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Most important rock protection?

viperbluelx

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ has no skid plates or anything yet and after this weekend at Aetna I realize I definitely need them. I'm thinking transfer case skid plate is most important but then what's next, protection for the dana 30 cover in the front? And after that?

This is for an 01 on 31's with 3" lift

i didnt make it to aetna i rode lewis chapel up near soddy daisy, but the thing i noticed hitting the most was my front differential in the rocks, im running 32's and 3 inches of lift

IMO, this is the order for protection when playing in rocks:
1.Diff (front and rear)
2. Rocker and Transfer Case
3. Gas Tank

If you value rocker panels, I would highly suggest rock sliders.

Hell, even if you don't value them, they are still pretty important.

T-case and diff protection are very important. Gas tank is important, and an engine skid would be useful for your height.

what leaves you walking home??

tcase first, then gas tank / rockers, diffs / engine last. depends what you wheel but thats what id do

what leaves you walking home??

tcase first, then gas tank / rockers, diffs / engine last. depends what you wheel but thats what id do

thats how i would do it. the t-case is aluminum and i feel would be the first thing to break with a significant bash on a rock. ive hit my t-case skid more than ive hit my diffs on something.

Rockers should be number one, then t case and gas tank, then diffs. You can wheel smart and not nail your diffs too hard, and even if you do the front stock cover will take a little abuse, the rear not so much.

-Alex

xfer case, rockers, then do the mini skids on the LCA mounts on the front axle. Somewhere down the line, do the gas tank. :)

rockers for sure...
l_8421ed029fb0fb50dbc8f49cc236bec4.jpg

If it were me I would do Rockers first. Then I would do the LCA Mounts. I replaced mine with Rockrawler replacement LCA skids. Then diffs and so on. I would says rock sliders first though for sure. JMHO.

Rockers, t-case and fuel tank are the 3 must haves IMO.

winchline.com 3/8". Yeah, I don't normally listen to him when he's holding a camera. :)

No way I'd trust the stock diff covers to provide any protection. I bashed and scraped the crap out of my D30 cover at Rausch Creek. They are the lowest part on the Jeep, so they will be hitting much more than the rockers or even t/c. I'd recommend diff covers first, then T/C, then rockers and gas tank. That's how I did it, but made sure I had all 3 before I went anywhere with decent sized rocks.

I run the following and think it is minimal to protect from damage

JCR sliders for the rockers
DPG skid - coveres from rail to rail with recessed bolt heads
Ruff Stuff covers D30 and D44
Stock gas tank skid

I also have the stock front skid but it was pretty beat up so it is off pending some more beef.

Back