• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch mounting idea, please comment

bobfortier

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all

I removed my front bumper and I did two things. First I did a cardboard template of the PDF file for the bumper bracket, and I found a couple holes not placed properly. So here is the corrected template. The end of the bracket is the end of the frame``horn``, so add what you need to attach your bumper.

framebracket.jpg

Also, I'm aiming for a ``hidden`` winch design. I made a drawing of this plate. The two 1 1/4 tubing will have holes, and the winch will bolt from behind the crossmember. The plate will be a one piece, folded at the corner, 1/4 inch thick. After the winch is on I'll just adapt the stock bumper to go over it, I'll probably have to bring it forward.

winchplate.jpg

Comments ?

p.s. please forgive my english, I'm french-canadian

Hi all

I removed my front bumper and I did two things. First I did a cardboard template of the PDF file for the bumper bracket, and I found a couple holes not placed properly. So here is the corrected template. The end of the bracket is the end of the frame``horn``, so add what you need to attach your bumper.

framebracket.jpg

Also, I'm aiming for a ``hidden`` winch design. I made a drawing of this plate. The two 1 1/4 tubing will have holes, and the winch will bolt from behind the crossmember. The plate will be a one piece, folded at the corner, 1/4 inch thick. After the winch is on I'll just adapt the stock bumper to go over it, I'll probably have to bring it forward.

winchplate.jpg

Comments ?

p.s. please forgive my english, I'm french-canadian

I've wondered about a design like this myself. I think it would be a good idea to run a piece of angle or something along that front plate to give it some more strength when pulling
dunno.gif

Or maybe box the bottom portion in a little under the frame rails.

Billy

I would think that the 1/4 plate the winch would be mounted on would bend under the slightest resistance (without some kind of re-enforcement behind it ..... ie cross bracking).

I seem to recall reading in my Warn instruction guide that you cannot mount the winch like that.

The bolts are in tension, and they need to either mount in shear, or compression.

As far as making that one piece, you may not understand how much precision that bend would have to be done with. Getting the setback and bend allowance perfect so that the finished product is the correct width is something that will take lots of talent or high tech equipment or both. Additionally, the angles would have to be very near perfect or the mount plates will not both line up with the frame.

I don't see anything there that's going to provide the strength required to support winching operations either. That 1/4 inch plate will simply bend forward, "pinching" your frame rails at the front as it does.

Interesting idea, but you're going to need to think it through some more in my opinion.

Good luck!

Doug

As far as making that one piece, you may not understand how much precision that bend would have to be done with. Getting the setback and bend allowance perfect so that the finished product is the correct width is something that will take lots of talent or high tech equipment or both. Additionally, the angles would have to be very near perfect or the mount plates will not both line up with the frame.

That's a good point, but what benefit is bending it anyway? I'd just weld it
dunno.gif

Billy

I like your design. However, like said before it may be unsafe to mount it with the bolts in a stretch position.

When I get back to the US in a couple of months, I will be working on a hidden winch mount myself. It will be similar to the OEM hidden winch but with the bolts coming up from the bottom. I know in my head how I want to build the tray for the winch. I just to transer it to paper.

I seem to recall reading in my Warn instruction guide that you cannot mount the winch like that.

The bolts are in tension, and they need to either mount in shear, or compression.

Yep, I have my new Warn manual sitting in front of me, and it says to only use the mounting positions shown. It pictures a standard winch bumper, with bolts through the bottom in shear, and a mounting set up similar to the ARB bumper, where the bolts are parallel with the pull, and the bolts are in compression. All other mounting orientations are "improper and inappropriate."

Actually, I believe that is quite simple in Inventor or Solidworks.

Actually, I believe that is quite simple in Inventor or Solidworks.
OR, anyone who bends for a living, knows the calculations for bend allowance.... no insane ammounts of talent required... just a couple skills...

that being said, thanks for correcting and reposting the template, may i ask how the other version floating around was wrong? and, what vehicle you have that it didnt work on (ie, does it only fit 97+? or 90-?? or is it completely wrong?)
thanks french neighbor to the north!

Thanks for the comments guy, I'll re-think the plate taking into account the mounting of the winch, I did not think of that.

For the template, it fits on a 2001. The two forward holes where 1/2 inch too far, and the first one was 1/8 off.

Back