• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ speedo gear

sumofatguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 93 XJ (np231) running 31's and 4.10 gears. I'm looking to replace my stock speedo gear with something more appropriate (37 teeth), but short speedo gears anywhere I can find run well over $100 which quite frankly is ridiculous. I found a long speedo gear I need here at jeep4x4center (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=52068159) and I was simply wondering if it is possibly to swap the gear to the shaft I currently have, or if there are any other options available to me. Thanks

yes, press the gear off and press new gear on. if you dont have a press, you could use a socket and vise.

BTW, i got the correct shaft at the dealership for $12.

Ok, thanks. I was quoted by my stupid dealership $141cad for a new speedo gear (JUST the gear), thats why I was wondering if a gear swap is possible from the $9 long shaft to mine.

My jeep is a 93, and the leads coming off the speed sensor are electronic and not the cable type, is it safe to assume that it is indeed the short version?

thanks

Back