• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My last winch question (I hope)

Camo-5

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I've replaced my 1/4" cable with 5/16" Blue steel with a breaking strength of 13K or so pounds. The wimpy hook that was on the cable needs to be 'beefed up'.

What size winch hooks are you guys running? Is 9200lbs working load enough? The winch is only 6,000lbs (yeah, yeah, kinda small for a cherokee
blah.gif
). If I add a block in place, it still should only be 6,000 lbs on the hook, correct? Or am I missing a block application that would put more on the hook? I can't imagine I would need something with 40K breaking strength......I do realize the hook should be the strongest link in the chain....

Also, I have a 3" wide recovery strap that's 20 feet long. Any reason I can't use this as my tree saver to keep from spending more money?

Thanks for the help!

Also, I have a 3" wide recovery strap that's 20 feet long. Any reason I can't use this as my tree saver to keep from spending more money?

i dont own a winch myself but i have seen them in action. i saw a guy use a "recovery" strap attached to a truck on dry ground and the other end attached to his winch hook. all that happened was the winch would stretch out the strap and did nothing. i am pretty sure a tree saver is a solid strap with no stretch to at like a recovery strap has.

You can use a recovery strap as a tree-saver. Wrap it around the trunk as many times as it takes until you only have 3-4 feet of strap hanging out to put your shackle/hook through.

Back