• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 engine failure... er kaput

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
well at 309,162KM's my engine 242 4.0l died... from what I can figure out my lower bearings cratered from oil starvation due to a plugged line = a catastrophic failure on the highway. I was traveling on the highway at approximately 120km/h 65mph when I heard "tick tick tick" then louder then a "clang" and finally a "bang" then nothing but white steam coming from the rear of the vehicle... then motor dies! I jam the tranny into neutral and coast over to the shoulder and manage to pull off on the exit ramp... I get it stopped, jump out with my fire extinguisher and pop the hood after listening and feeling it... I can hear fluid pouring onto the blacktop... I look undeneath... 2 large punctures in the oil pan - upper coming from inside the pan out. Er the engine is kaput!

I have managed to obtain a 96 4.0l with 86Km's on the clock and will be doing an engine swap :repair: I love my jeep and the old motor gave me everything till it died... RIP! It sucks but I guess that's just life... on the lighter side I get a newer motor = more overtime to pay for it... but a newer motor = :cheers:

bummer. good thing you were able to coast to the exit. My tranny hiccuped a couple of weeks ago on a freeway cloverleaf going up the highest ramp to transition to another freeway, wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I felt like Capt. Scully coasting down the ramp, crossing a merging lane of traffic for a dead stick landing on the shoulder.

when you get the old one out disassemble the bottom end & post pictures of the wreckage.

Back