• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tapping noise, sounds like top end??

JAFFAR3869

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 1990 jeep cherokee with a 4.0. Its making a tapping noise at all times, and does increase when the rpms do.

My Water pump pulley was warped, So i put a new one on there thinking it was the culprit. I start it up, same noise.

It def. sounds like its coming from the top end, weather it be the rocker arms, push rods, or lifters, I dont know.

Another thing, When I shut the engine off, and when all the pulleys stop turning, It still makes the noise, slower obv. but its still there for a short period of time, either 30 seconds or 3 minutes or anywhere in between.

I have been in and out of this thing and not happy to say it. tomorrow after work I am taking the belt off and starting it up and I'm going to see if that changes anything.

Any ideas, or ways to find out what the noise is would be really helpful, I dont know how much I want to drive it, In fear of something breaking and doing more damage than I bargained for.

Please Post a reply with anything!!! Thank you!!

Jeff

This probably sounds like a stupid question, but a simple one, check the oil? Sounds like the lifters, but if it makes it after you turn off the vehicle I am at a loss. The 4.0 is just naturally has its own ticks/clicks/Taps/etc.

Make sure I understand You say that after the engine stops it's still making the same noise???

I hate noises...

Nick

Another thing, When I shut the engine off, and when all the pulleys stop turning, It still makes the noise, slower obv. but its still there for a short period of time, either 30 seconds or 3 minutes or anywhere in between.Jeff

:confused::confused::confused: Not sure how this could be the case??? Have you checked for mice/rats??

that part wouldnt be on a '90. a jeep that age, sounds like a lifter prob. as far as when its shut off... nothing should make noise when not running except the exhaust cooling down.

Back