• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumble and Coughing

x2elite

NAXJA Forum User
Now my XJ has 213k on it, but it has ALWAYS been well maintained, and runs like a new jeep. That was until this morning on my way to work. I was headed to work, and all of a sudden it started to "cough" (for lack of a better description). It would only do it under acceleration, and then eventually it threw a CEL (Haven't been able to find out what code it is throwing yet though). I didn't know if anyone else has had this problem. The jeep is a 96 4.0 HO, and until this point has always ran great. I did have a power steering pump go out last week, replaced it last saturday, but I wouldn't think that should cause a problem.

How bout you get the code read then let us know what it says. We can help better that way.....:jester::jester: There are alot of things it could be. My guess is either the iac or the tps or it may be the map also.

Had them scan it and it came back TPS sensor was the problem. Wierd thing is that when I drove it down there for them to scan it, it ran great, no problems at all. I went ahead and bought a TPS, and i will just hang on to it for when I need it.

Back