• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer sensor question?

Canyonman

NAXJA Forum User
Does the Speedometer sensor on a 2000 XJ with a 242 T-Case do any other function like Transmission gear change imput or odometer imput?

I want to leave the gear out for a while(NO SPEEDOMETER).

I have a older model mainshaft that I H-N-T'ed(SYE) not knowing it did not have that same gear pickup for the speedometer as on the newer one.:eek:
The guy online I bought from insisted it was the right one for 2000.
Original was bent and will shop for right one and modify it later.
Thanks

On my 96 it runs the odometer also. It also causes the CEL to come on. JIM.

Odometer input of course. It is also an input into the transmission gear selection process in the TCM. If it's illegal, I don't want to know. Didn't you guys disconnect the speedometer/odometer cable on the family car before you went cruising, or is that just a Detroit thing from the '60s/70s? The old family wagon got a lot of miles on it while I was "studying at the library". (Pre-internet days)

That sounds right that it would drive the odometer too.
I just got another replacement mainshaft with the proper speedometer worm gear on it so everthing should work great.H-N-T one more time at work then install.
Thanks for the info:D

It is also an input into the transmission gear selection process in the TCM.

Nope. The AW4 has its own output shaft speed sensor and doesn't use the VSS sensor in the xfer case. The engine computer does use the VSS, and it will cause a check engine light on a 2000.

So short answer is that it'll shift normal, but will through a check engine light.

Nope. The AW4 has its own output shaft speed sensor and doesn't use the VSS sensor in the xfer case. The engine computer does use the VSS, and it will cause a check engine light on a 2000.

So short answer is that it'll shift normal, but will through a check engine light.

Thanks for the enlightenment. 2 speed sensors. :doh:

Back