• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Braking problem please help....

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
So recently i have installed new brakes in the rear. blead them multiple times and no succes yet...

Jeep is an 89 with rear drums...

THE PROBLEM:

When applying the brakes i have to push the pedel down 3/4 of the way until i get DECENT braking but yesterday when tailgating:doh: I had to Slam on the brakes....to my dismay my brakes did not lock up or even stop me remoetly fast....my fluid levels are fine and i have no leaks....i am puzzeled at what to do....Im not sure is i can adjust the pedal or what...

thanks'

-PJ-

x2^

did you adjust them. turn adjusting screw until they drag slighly on the drums.

do you have stock size tires? wj booster and master swap is a great mod.

how do i regain brake pedel distance or is it normal to have to press it down 3/4 of the way before you get any resistance?

-PJ-

brake distance is partially controlled by adjusting the rear brakes, but my 89 had crappy brakes until i did the wj booster and master swap. alwys had alot of travel.

did you adjust the rears?

how do i regain brake pedal distance or is it normal to have to press it down 3/4 of the way before you get any resistance?

-PJ-
When your rear shoes are out of adjustment, it requires excessive fluid to push out the cups in the wheel cylinders as it extends the shoes to the drums, pedal goes down to far because of this.

89 XJ -I do have Larger than stock tires...I am running 32's right now.

To all-I have not Re-Re-Re-adjusted that brakes since last time i blead them...

So i take it there is no adjustment for the brake pedal itself?

-PJ-

no adjusting the pedal. like stated above, check and adjust your drums as needed. it is actually quite simple and fast. all that is needed is a flathead screwdriver.

i was fed up with the brakes on my 95 (even with the better booster) so i upgraded the rear to disk brakes. you may also benifit from a booster swap and/or wj front brakes.

i too drive an 89 and had the same issues when i went to bigger tires.
All went back to normal when i did the WJ booster swap.
BE SURE you adjust BOTH sides of the brake switch,... otherwise the transmission will think the brake is being applied while accelerating and never shift into overdrive(dont ask me how i know that)

wj booster swap made a huge difference in braking. im running 31's.

great mod for under $100 with jy parts and double flare kit.

no transmission problem, i have a manual trans, but getting the brake light switch to work proporly required some shimming.

Most likely it's the rear brake adjustment. One other possibility though would be excessive runout in the front rotors, but you would feel that in a rough pedal unless it's caused by excessive play in the wheel bearings. This can push the pistons in the disc brakes back and require more fluid flow to move back.

well last night i adjusted my brakes and made a difference but i was also looking for threads on the WJ (i take those are the newer Grand cherokes???) booster swap but found nothing. Are there any threads or websites that could help me out...

thanks'

-PJ-

Are you sure your front brakes are working properly? Had a problem with my '01 where I just about had to stand on the pedal to get any braking at all. Replaced the M/C and all was better. Turned out there was a piece of something in the M/C outlet port that was not letting any/all the pressure from the M/C to the front brake hard line. One way (although you would have to bleed brakes after doing this) would be to remove the hard line from the M/C and have someone apply the brakes and see if fluid is actually coming out of the M/C (be careful) You might just blow a piece of crud out in the process.

Back