• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

green liquid?

AaronJXJ

NAXJA Forum User
when my brother was taking the trash out this morning he noticed a puddle under my right front tire, i went and checked it out and there seams to be a green liquid dripping, any ideas on what his could be?

he probably dumped the trash by accident spilling some ecto cooler under the Jeep ... I have NEVER seen any green fluid under a vehicle - it is impossible :dunce:

Hallo. It can be coolant fluid. 1.2 ethanediol/ethyleneglycol is green.
Sometimes it is lighting. It is also very sweet, this is the way to test it.
But watch out, it is very TOXIC and POISONING!! Just taste,not swallow!!

'92 XJ

went and tried the taste test real quick, it was sweet
checked my coolant and sure enough its looking dry
problem discovered thanks again guys

Hallo. It can be coolant fluid. 1.2 ethanediol/ethyleneglycol is green.
Sometimes it is lighting. It is also very sweet, this is the way to test it.
But watch out, it is very TOXIC and POISONING!! Just taste,not swallow!!

'92 XJ

Not always sweet anymore, most companies put a bittering agent in it these days to prevent animals and children from drinking it. I've tasted it with the bittering agent, its bad.

Looks like dog poop, smells like dog poop, tastes like...chicken?

Could be a big slimy louie - there's a touch of green there sometimes.

Okay, I'll be first to stop picking on OP and actually try to help. Yes it's anti-freeze, and unless it has been doing this regularly, it's about a 50-50 chance your water pump is about to fail and need replacing. If it's not your water pump, then it's likely a coolant leak developing and you need to fix that too.

You need to watch this closely. First off, make sure your coolant level is full, and you may want to start carrying a couple gallon jugs of water with you. Next time you start your jeep, let it idle a few minutes while you open the hood and look around for leaks. If you don't see any, you can drive long enough to get to full operating temp, then stop and open your hood again and look for leaks again. If it's okay so far, drive on but keep an eye on the temperature gage - any overheating, stop immediately. Then when your drive is over, leave the engine running and look again for leaks. Turn engine off, and LOOK AGAIN for leaks - watch the water pump, especially, for about 2 minutes after turning off the engine (a failing water pump sometimes has a discharge shortly after engine is turned off).

If you see any leaks in the hoses, replace the hoses - best to replace all at once, not just the offending one. If the leak comes from the water pump, get ready to have it changed.

Back