• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about welding the "in a box" cages

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
For the guys who installed/welded their own. How did you weld the top of the upper joints of the cage (near the headliner)? Is there room up there to lay a bead? It doesn't look like it. I'm especially referring to the one I'm most likely to purchase. The D&C. Thanks ya'll.

Most of the time, we cut holes through the floor, drop the cage down, weld up what we need to, then raise everything back up and reinforce the holes we cut with feet plates on either side of the floor.

Some people just weld what they can and call it good, but i wouldnt recommend that...

You tac everything together and then take the cage out in pieces and weld those points that cant be welded in the XJ, then reinstall, and finnish welding. What makes a good cage builder is someone who can forsee all that and knows how to plan it.

Or do it my way and cut the roof off and weld it... :gee:

our cages are made with the DIY guys in mind. slide the a-d pillar in and tack it. then put the cross bars and B & C pillars in. weld what you can with out burning the head liner. now get yourself a piece of aluminum and some wet rags. place the aluminum over the head liner where your going to weld and the wet rags behind the aluminum. now you have a shield that will not let you burn the liner.

so you guys know you get the red letter discount on our cages too..... $664

thanks jimbo

it has more pillars, hugs the interior better and has more roof cross bars.
clearly better in my mind
:D
and that's sweet about the discount Tom!
I had no idea
:D

What if I were to slice through somewhere near the bottom of the pillars, weld the top, lift it up then re-weld the bottom of the pillars? I don't want to cut through the floor, but I really want a full wrap around weld at top.

I wouldn't do that unless you add an inner sleeve...
basically a piece of tubing that's OD is the same as the roll cage tube's ID
then space your cut by 1/8 inch so get a good full penetration weld.
but read the post by Tom at T and J's use the aluminum and wet rags, that's what I was planning on

I wouldn't do that unless you add an inner sleeve...
basically a piece of tubing that's OD is the same as the roll cage tube's ID
then space your cut by 1/8 inch so get a good full penetration weld.
but read the post by Tom at T and J's use the aluminum and wet rags, that's what I was planning on

The sleeve is a good idea. No, the wet rags is a great idea, I just don't think there will be enough room to get in there and get a good bead down, hopefully I'm wrong. Just trying to be forward thinking. I guess that will be Plan A. Plan B will be to chop / sleeve / re-weld. Thanks.

I'm having the same concerns with my cage build. I was going to ask how folks are getting fully welded cages into the XJs... I plan on building my own or getting a DIY kit with pre-bent tube.

Hey T&J do you guys offer installs on your cages for those of us who are local?

Back