• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interchangable Parts?

Grille and bumper, yes if you take the whole thing. The grille surround is different, but the basic configuration the same. Steering linkages the same.

Radiator design is quite different. Not sure about the belt driven fan, but you may be able to swap electric fan if you splice the connector.

The 87 fan should work, but it's the straight vane version, less efficient and obviously much older. Many use the late model curved vanes models for the efficiency and reduced power draw.

The grille shell swap is from the four studs forward to make everything work - and you may have to loosen the fenders to match up the outside lines. Later models seem to be slightly narrower - 1/2" or more - right behind the header. Kinda aggravating when you slap it on, center it, and find 3/8" bump outs behind the corner lights.

The 87 fan should work, but it's the straight vane version, less efficient and obviously much older. Many use the late model curved vanes models for the efficiency and reduced power draw.

The grille shell swap is from the four studs forward to make everything work - and you may have to loosen the fenders to match up the outside lines. Later models seem to be slightly narrower - 1/2" or more - right behind the header. Kinda aggravating when you slap it on, center it, and find 3/8" bump outs behind the corner lights.

not too worried about it. What should I do about the radiator? Junkyard, or grab something off ebay? I'd really like to avoid paying $200+ for one...

not too worried about it. What should I do about the radiator? Junkyard, or grab something off ebay? I'd really like to avoid paying $200+ for one...

The radiator should fit - just leave the Thermal Fan Switch in place (if going from RENIX to HO) or come up with a way to mount a new TFS somewhere else (if going HO to RENIX - usually, you move the thermostat housing over, which gives you a 3/8" NPT drilled & tapped hole. There are various Chevvy parts that will work.)

So, since you're going RENIX to HO, you can just leave the TFS in place and cut the wiring off (save it - it can come in handy as a pigtail for something else.) Check for transmission cooler fittings on the early radiator - it's possible that you've got it, and it just went unused. If you do not, add an external cooler and you're good (which is going to be a good deal cheaper than a new radiator.)

The radiator should fit - just leave the Thermal Fan Switch in place (if going from RENIX to HO) or come up with a way to mount a new TFS somewhere else (if going HO to RENIX - usually, you move the thermostat housing over, which gives you a 3/8" NPT drilled & tapped hole. There are various Chevvy parts that will work.)

So, since you're going RENIX to HO, you can just leave the TFS in place and cut the wiring off (save it - it can come in handy as a pigtail for something else.) Check for transmission cooler fittings on the early radiator - it's possible that you've got it, and it just went unused. If you do not, add an external cooler and you're good (which is going to be a good deal cheaper than a new radiator.)
If he goes with a Renix radiator, won't he also have to change the heater valving and cob up a support for the pressure tank? I can see that it would be possible, but perhaps I'm just not enough of a fan of the old style to think it worthwhile.

On the basic subject of radiators, I would make the decision at least partly on whether the donor radiator is perfect. When they get old the fins can rot out, and if that's begun to happen, it will never run cool.

If he goes with a Renix radiator, won't he also have to change the heater valving and cob up a support for the pressure tank? I can see that it would be possible, but perhaps I'm just not enough of a fan of the old style to think it worthwhile.

On the basic subject of radiators, I would make the decision at least partly on whether the donor radiator is perfect. When they get old the fins can rot out, and if that's begun to happen, it will never run cool.

Good point - I'd spaced on that.

The radiator will physically fit, but the primary difference is the location of the fill point. Two ways to handle that -
1) Fab up a mount for the "football", as Matt mentioned, and run associated plumbing (PITA.)
2) Stop by a speed shop and get an "in-hose fill bung" - rodders and custom builders often use them to put the fill point at the highest point in the system - and it isn't always the radiator. Take a section of hose with you (cut out the top hose,) since they have them in sizes ranging from 1-1/4" to 2". I don't recall the ID on the upper XJ hose...

Back