• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

combining bb with more

carpediem829

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so i was wondering if it was a good idea to save myself the cash by buying a smaller lift kit and adding that on to my 3.5" bb.

currently i have a homebrewed tc drop, rear 3" shackles, front 3.5" coil-spacers, u-bolts, and doesch-tech shocks.

any imput would be greatly appreciated

emery

imo, if your already running that much coil spacing, its time to upgrade your springs. as far as the rear, you could prolly get away with some blocks or an add a leaf.... rubicon mfg makes the best cherokee springs, when you goto order the springs( if you do) get the grand cherokee ones, they don't sag out as fast and there a little more stiff.... but still provide a good ride.

and of course if you lift more your gonna need to upgrade shocks.. just a friendly reminder (only reminding cuz i forgot to replace my shocks when i put my 2'' spacers on my 5.5 long arm kit and blew my shocks on the front)

Gabe Williamson

that sounds like it would work but i'm ready to go all out. plus i've heard bad reviews about the aals and also blocks.

do you think it would be safe to go with say the RE 4.5" lift with all new springs on all corners for a net lift of around 7.5" to 8"? or should i just fork out the $$ and take off the bb and buy the 7.5" kit?

thanks though i do see the need to replace the shocks so i don't blow mine as soon as i hit a little flex

if your ready to fork out the cash..... just get the re5.5 long arm and use your spacers....with fender triming you can easily clear 36 tsl's.
if your gonna do it though you MUST do an sye and new rear driveline.

another thing is that might save you a few coins is when you order the kit..... tell them to exclude the swaybar extentions... i drive without them, its wierd to get used to but once you do its easy. and lastly i don't like rubicons tcase crossmember. here is a link to a crossmember similar to mine, the same guy build mine as a matter a fact.

http://alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=16370&page=2

8" is a lot for a chero. you need to do long arms or at a minimum drop brackets for that much. Extended shackles or boomerang shackles are good for larger springs, and allow articulation without the shackle contacting the body. Proper bumpstoping will prevent premature spring wear and failure.

SYE is mandatory at that level, and Steering becomes a major issue.

What size tires do you plan on running? 7.5"+ is a lot on an XJ!
I agree with others that you would be best off getting a good long arm kit, no blocks or AAL.
3.5" is a lot of spacer, and a 3" shackle will put a lot of unwanted leverage on your spring hanger.
If I were you I'd sell the BB and get a good, solid lift.

i have another vehicle thats my dd, so i'm just gonna go all out with the little red xj.
i'm planning on running 36" tsl, maybe baja claws, but probly tsl cuz mine haven't let me down yet.

also, what if i reinforced my shackle hanger to handle the extra torue on it from my longer shackle?

also, i have the extended bumpstops sitting in my shop and i will be able to get the longarm kit. i also have lockers front and rear and the new gears just waitin to be put in. i just don't see the point in throwin them in with just 31s

If you want current axle movement, you need to focus on what your control arms are doing. With that much lift already, your angles are pretty high. Buy a long arm kit and be done. You would be much more happy getting something around 5.5, trimming, and run your 36's. Much better center of gravity.

carpediem829 said:
stock right now

D35 or 8.25?
What year?

To properly run 36s you will need a lot, I am working on this one myself.
-5.5-6.5" long arm lift
-Front D44 (should use alloy shafts if you want to lock it)
-Upgrade steering
-Regear
-If you have a 29sp 8.25 you may be able to get by, but can't gear deeper than 4.56, and should use alloy shafts if locked. You will snap a D35 like a twig! Swap to a D44, 8.8 or bigger.
-SYE and custom driveshaft
-A good bit of fender trimming
-Brakelines, shocks, etc...etc...

These are roughly the plans for mine, I'm currently at 6.5" on 33s with short arms. The ride is a little rough, but not too bad. I have done a little tweaking to get the front to flex good, but will be adding longarms when I do my front 44.

pic of current flex w/short arms
DSCF0930.jpg

Back