• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone carry a vice?

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a 4" bench vice at Menard's some time ago with the intention of making a mount for my receiver. Since then, I've been wondering about mounting it inside somehow. Anyone else have one on board?

I personally don't, but I have given it some thought. I've seen it a couple of times, and a receiver mount is a good idea.

For a receiver mount, I'd want it short enough not to take up much room but also long/tall enough not to have to sit in dirt or mud while using it. Would I need to use 1/4" material (I'm thinking of 2" x 2" square tube welded into an "L" shape)?

I carried several for quite a few years, then I pretty much stopped drinking, smoking pot but I still have two left, nice knockers and I still smoke cigs and now cigars. :D :D :D :D
Now if you mean a VISE, no, usually a couple of hefty C clamps work for me. :D

Oh, my. I can't believe I did that. Thanks, Rich. I tie flies, too, and most places misspell it that way, and I guess I'm just getting too used to seeing it that way.

I saw an aluminum vise somewhere a few weeks ago, mount that on a receiver mount and put a receiver mount in the back of the Jeep to hold while wheeling and I think it would work either inside or in the hitch.

BFH and a couple of large C-Clamps. I do like the looks of the Receiver style though.

I'm not much of a welder, but why couldn't you buy a vise, and remove most of the base, and have it welded to a 2" square tubing, cut to desired length, and drill a hole in it for the draw pin. As far as that goes you could even put 2 45 degree angles in it to have it raised slightly for more comfort. Kind of like a hitch mounted bicycle rack.

the question isnt why couldnt you, its why would you?.

anything is simple, when you look at it like that, but nobody is in doubt that this could be done.

but, im not a plumber, are you?

i would use a kitchen sink in the back seat, way more often then a vise in the rear cargo hatch, this thread is just silly.

i would use a kitchen sink in the back seat, way more often then a vise in the rear cargo hatch, this thread is just silly.

I would, too, but the time I broke a u-joint on a muddy hill made me think about it quite a bit. It would have made changing that out much simpler. I know that can be said about a lot of shop tools, but I don't think a vise takes up much space or weighs too much to carry along on trail rides.

Actually if you have a front winch bumper that sticks out it's fairly easy to mount a small to medium sized vise on it. Our maintenance section had 5 tons and on all three they had a big vise on each front bumper bolted on.

Actually if you have a front winch bumper that sticks out it's fairly easy to mount a small to medium sized vise on it. Our maintenance section had 5 tons and on all three they had a big vise on each front bumper bolted on.

That's an awesome idea. I think I'm going to go this route.

Back