• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running front leaves

If you converted the front to leaf packs then no you would not need a track bar. you dont need a track bar with leaf packs because they keep the axle from moving side to side, the front coils will move side to side so you have to have a track bar to keep your axle centered.

But why would you want to put leaves up front anyways?

i dunno i have heard mixed thoughts - it is not needed for leafs like it is needed for coils but YJ's run em stock - all the guys here on the board and on pirate than do they leaf swap primary run trails and have eliminated the track bar so overall you can run leafs without a track bar safely

i dunno i have heard mixed thoughts - it is not needed for leafs like it is needed for coils but YJ's run em stock - all the guys here on the board and on pirate than do they leaf swap primary run trails and have eliminated the track bar so overall you can run leafs without a track bar safely

Depends on where you run it and how safe is "safe" to you...

For street use & in the steering axle, i think you'd need a track bar. Even the little bit of play you'd get in the bushings could be enough to produce pretty bad death wobble up front... the engineers didn't throw a track bar in front of the YJ to save money so it must have been for a good reason, eh?

Yes you need a track-bar.
Even with the leaves you'll get some side to side movement, and the Jeep will handle much better with the trac-bar. I used the trac-bar, shortened and sleeved that I got with my Dana 44 axles out of the grand Wag. That Comanche would cruise the interstate with 38" tires that were 15"es wide, at 70 MPH no problem. I didn't have a sway bar, had excellent stable flex off-road, and still had plenty of control on the road. Not much lean. In contrast, my ZJ with 4.5" coils, and 2" pucks, with the sway bar hooked up has a lot more lean, although I guess that could be contributed more to the narrow trac width and tires.

Anyway, use a trac-bar.

HPIM0607.jpg

Last edited:
well there you go! it makes sense that there would be some side to side movement... do toyo guys run a front track bar on front leaf applications?

well there you go! it makes sense that there would be some side to side movement... do toyo guys run a front track bar on front leaf applications?
No,as do most leaf sprung rigs(Ford,Chevy,Dodge),totally not required !!!Do you have a trackbar in the rear of your XJ?They did that to make the DOT/NTSB and everyone else happy because of roll-over issues as it does tighten up the steering response.None of the earlier models ever had them.

Last edited:
Back