• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need time estimate

cmeuzelaar

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I know I haven't posted in a while--work's been insane and the jeep hasn't been running too badly. I need an estimate of how long replacing the catalytic converter on my jeep is likely to take, given that I have no experience doing exhaust work and I know that my clamps and flange bolts are rusty.

As it stands, I'm simply in need of doing the cat unless my muffler gets trashed getting the cat out.

Chris
"Smashy": '89 Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4-door, 4WD

If your exhaust system is getting up there in years I'd just do the whole thing. Get the OEM cat with the flanges, not the universal fit would be my recommendation. I'd also get the flat one, I see too many round ones on the trails.
Doing the whole thing you just use the sawzall wrench to remove the old one cept for the flange end on the cat.

RichP said:
Doing the whole thing you just use the sawzall wrench to remove the old one cept for the flange end on the cat.

Rich, whats a Sawzall wrench?

Geepfreak said:
Rich, whats a Sawzall wrench?
sawzall1.jpg

OK, estimate on the whole thing--muffler on back just fell off friday on my way to the airport (grrrr) and when i removed it from under the vehicle, it doesn't stand a prayer of being reused--too rusted. It looks to me like it'll be about 2 hours for me to do all of it without the added time of my rig which likes to have things break every time I do work.

jmowens said:
Familiar with a BFH and a sawsall wrench, but never heard ford wrench before... is this what you mean?
http://cgi.ebay.com/FORD-WRENCH_W0QQitemZ220031170376QQcmdZViewItem

:roll:

i borrowed a hub puller from the LAPS and ended up using a BFH instead, when i returned the hub puller he asked how it worked and i said it works like shit i used a BFH instead and the hub came right off...he said good ole ford wrench works everytime. lol

-Tim

Back