• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting problems

xldon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I was cleaning up on the XJ,with a power washer. Cleaning the engine,undercarriage, transfer case and afterward I have noticed that it is not shifting like it should. That is, when I kick it down with the accelerator it does not down shift into a lower gear. Is this a vacuum thing or something other. :confused1

Thanks for your support

Hey guys, I was cleaning up on the XJ,with a power washer. Cleaning the engine,undercarriage, transfer case and afterward I have noticed that it is not shifting like it should. That is, when I kick it down with the accelerator it does not down shift into a lower gear. Is this a vacuum thing or something other. :confused1

Thanks for your support
Did you spray the TPS with the washer? :doh:
Good possibility you messed it up with the water.:nono:

Sorry Guys.... its a 88 XJ that I bough new in 88. :yap:
And yes I probably did get some over spray on the TPS, but that is not the first time that I have cleaned the engine. The only problems that I have ever had after cleaning it was some moisture developing in the Distributor cap. A little WD40 fixed that though.
Other than the shifting problem, I don't seem to have any other problems.
I think if it were the TPS I would be having all sorts of probs right ??

Sorry Guys.... its a 88 XJ that I bough new in 88. :yap:
And yes I probably did get some over spray on the TPS, but that is not the first time that I have cleaned the engine. The only problems that I have ever had after cleaning it was some moisture developing in the Distributor cap. A little WD40 fixed that though.
Other than the shifting problem, I don't seem to have any other problems.
I think if it were the TPS I would be having all sorts of probs right ??
The TPS is what the TCU uses to set the shift points.
Bad TPS = Bad shifting

try readjusting the line pressure cable at the throttle body as well as the TPS. I know when I readjusted mine, the shifts seemed to come at more desired times and the kickdown was more predictible.

Thanks for the input Guys....I have a starting point now anyways....

We will see what it is one way or the other : )

Be safe...

I was finally able to fix the problem, and as mentioned in the replies I had, it was the TPS. I will be careful about getting water anywhere near that sucker from now on :laugh:
I wish I could say it was a snap to put on, but it was a big PITA.
Be careful when you take the screws that hold the TPS to the throttle body out. Mine seemed to be aluminum or something less. The bottom one came right out, the top one broke off about half way down the screw. :fuse:
I'm thinking no prob, I'll just lock some visegrips to it and turn it on out.:(
Nope it broke off up in the throttle body.
Wound up drilling and tapping out and finally getting it installed.
Setting the voltage to .8 volts was a trip in itself but I got it done, and I think it shifts better now than it ever has....:yelclap:
I appreciate all the input from you folks and it I ever can help anyone with a similar problem, I will share my experience with ya...

Thanks again

Don

Put some dielectric grease in those connectors for a little water proofing.

Back