• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 question

muddyxj84

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 xj with the 8.25 in the rear. i was wondering if there is anyway to find out if it is the 27 or 29 spline without having to take the axle shafts out. thanks.

No, you can make a educated guess based on the build date, but I dont think you will be able to definately tell without visually confirming it. There is tons of conflicting information on the 96.

You heard right, 96 is a transition year, so you could have either.

I think most I've seen have been 29 spline.

There isn't any other way other than pulling the cover and counting.

I have a 1/96 8.25 sitting in the back yard, but haven't taken the cover off yet(should cause it probably would be sold if I'd confirm it was a 29 spline)

When was your XJ manufactured... itll say on the tag on the drivers door.
Before summer is always 27 after summer is always 29. Still havent figured out exactly when they changed over.

Before summer is always 27 after summer is always 29. Still havent figured out exactly when they changed over.

How about DURING the summer? ;)

Never say never. And never say always. I've seen a September built XJ with 27 splines.

Back