• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont start

chucknes

NAXJA Forum User
my '90 sport 4.0 wont start after i wash the under side. if i crank the hell out of it and wait about 10 minutes its ok. any one got the answer?

-chuck

Fuel pump wiring? If you're washing the engine area too, there's a bunch of other stuff. If you drive in heavy rain, it still runs good? To really trace it, you have to start by figuring out if you are not getting fuel or not getting spark. Quick checks are to pull a wire, put a spark plug in, hold it up to the block while somebody cranks it. Then you know if you have spark or not. If you shoot it with spray start and it fires up, you are missing fuel. Once you know what is missing, you can troubleshoot. Otherwise (like the fuel pump wires), it's just a WildAssGuess.

hey thanks, i am getting fuel and no spark i thought it might be a coil issue as i once had to replace that weird little ignition module cradle thingy. any thoughts?

thanks ma i hadnt thought of that,
where in holland and do you ever come to germany? there are a few of us here and we love to go out and play!

Do you know about CPS connector? Also, the bulkhead connector is very weak on that era XJ. Try wiggling, re-seating them.

thats where i have been going with it seems to be the issue as it seems to correct the no start its hard to tell though. do you know a good fix/mod for this issue?

If you look at cause and effect principle, I would say that you must be having water intrusion into an electrical connector of some sort, probably sensor related. You don't have actual sensor failure most likely, but water contamination. If the component itself was truly bad, it wouldn't start in 10 minutes. Crank sensor connector is always suspect here and I've also seen oxygen sensor connectors fail like this. I'd start with a thorough inspection of wiring and connectors.

Let us know what you find....

Back