• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Axle Seal Replacement

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
After installing an XJ44 in my rig, I noticed both axle seals are leaking. The drivers side isn't to bad, but the passenger side is leaking on the tire.

What's all involved in the seal replacement?

Do the bearings have to be replaced as well, or can they be reused after being pressed off (they looked to be in good shape)?

Also the D44 only has outer seals, correct? I read that there may be inner seals by the diff, but don't remember seeing any when we set up the gears.

Yes-XJ D 44,s only have outer seals
Maybe-the bearings can be saved but the small ring that holds them on the shaft will be destroyed to remove them. A new bearing set will include the new ring-I don,t know it the ring is available seperatly .Checked parts catalog--ring is available

Search for D44 Tech and more than you want to know will be there.

Wayne

Its going to be pretty hard to save those bearings and ring. Its a heck of a lot easier to just replace both while you are doing the seals. No point in not replacing the bearings now while you have everything apart, only to have to do it all over again to replace a wheel bearing. Plus, bearings aren't that expensive.

No inner seals like the front axles, as the gear oil needs to get into the tubes and lubricate the wheel bearings.

The retaining ring is under a ton of pressure as there is a fairly large interference between the shaft and the ring, as it needs to ensure the bearing doesn't slip off, and you loose a shaft. Due to this, and the length of the axleshaft, you would need a large hydrolic press to press both the ring and bearing off at the same time. That ring needs to be pressed on with a hydrolic press, as a regular leverage based press won't work, trust me I've tried.

You can purchase all these parts from Crown or Autozone. (I haven't double checked about the retaining ring at Autozone, as I got mine at Crown). Also, look and see if your retaining plates are warped or bent at all. If they are, you should replace those too. They are only a couple bucks at Crown.

Use a dremel and cut a groove in both the ring and the inner cone of the bearing (remove the cage and the roller bearings first). Make sure you don't cut too deep. If you cut deep enough in the retaining ring, it will crack on its own. If not take a chisel and hit the groves that you you made. This will crack them and you can then remove. Make sure you put the seals on the correct way.

Back