• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ sounds like a dragster...

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 XJ, and every now and then it will start idling and sounding exactly like a dragster. Sometimes it won't idle at all and immediately die, but sometimes the idle will drop down to 400-500 RPM and jump up to 1000 RPM, just like a dragster. While it's doing this if you push the gas a little bit, you'll get the right amount of power while it's at the peak of it's RPM jumping, and then it'll come back down and act like you aren't touching the gas at all. Ten past maybe 1500-2000 RPMs it acts fine.
Sometimes it's also VERY hard to start. Like it turns over and over and over and might fire once or twice a second until you give it gas. That's when it's cold.
I know it isn't a clogged cat because I cut everything off from the cat back ( I AM replacing the cat, I'm just troubleshooting for now. please don't mention this, even "good job." because I don't want to derail this thread.)
I doubt it's the CPS because I just replaced it. What the hell could this be? Are Gremlins swapping my cams out while I'm not looking?

I have a 99 that had idle problems and would not start till I gave it gas. I replaced the idle solenoid and it works fine.

You can clean the Idle Air Controller and test the Throttle Position Sensor with a voltmeter. These would be the first steps.

The IAC can have intermittent operation that makes hard to troubleshoot.
Check for codes, if it is the IAC it could have a code stored even without an engine light.

Back