• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac clutch ?'s

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,

in my process of trying to convert my a/c to oba, i messed something up. I was trying to grind down those "ears on the top" originally two hose mounts are bolted to them. my grinder accidentally struck the output ports threading and i kinda freaked, so i tried putting my 90 degree elbow and it threaded fine. As I started to tighten it up more, the port busted right off. Now I have an exposed hole on top of my a/c compressor.

some of you might not understand what i'm talking about so i'll just ask my questions.

- can I swap my good a/c clutch-bearing over to another compressor that i have? any write ups or links on how to do it?

- would it be easier to just get a tool to thread what's left of the inner part of the threaded port. I'm assuming I would have to use a either a 1/4" or 3/8" being that, that is what sizes are offered in pipe fittings.

i hope you all understand me.

1987 XJ 4.0 auto np231 d30 d44
a/c compressor ports on top.

Last edited:
you're better off swapping the entire clutch assembly to another compressor. i did that. I tried replacing just the bearing, but it is pressed in and virtually impossible to get out.

All you have to do to swap the clutch assembly is get a pulley puller (can rent it from autozone) and it takes about 5 min. to swap them. Super easy and works great. It's very self explanatory when you're taking it off, just a few bolts.

Back