• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cold weather auto trans issue

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so it has been dropping down to freezing temps here in south GA lately and ever since it started I have noticed that if the Jeep is cold, when I start it up and put it in drive the Jeep doesn't want to move almost like the parking brake is still on. And when I start to drive and give it gas it feels like something is "dragging." Once I drive around for a while and it warms up then I don't really notice it anymore. I also can hear a very faint chirping sound like a baby bird or something. I am aware of the "angry sparrows" noise associated with the CV joint in the front drvehshaft when it goes bad and I have already had to deal with that and rebuild the CV which was done about 3 months ago. My XJ is a 97 4.0L auto 4x4 Country. It has never done this to me when it gets cold during the past 6 1/2 years that I have had this Jeep. If anyone has any clue as to what is going on here please let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
I have heard that it takes 25-30 minutes to fully warm the fluid in an AW4.

How long do you let it warm up before attempting to drive?

Well if its anything like my 99, the seals in my AW4 are getting to their end and stiffening. Cold morning here, -5 to 36ish degrees, mine will do the exact same thing.... Once it warms up, runs just fine. No idea aboot the noise....

I'd look at the rear brakes/drums. Even if that isn't your problem, I check mine at least twice a year, more often if I've been mudding.
Do your rears ever lock when your braking?
The only noticeable cold weather issues I've ever really had with my AW-4's is occasional late shifts.
I had some first gear slippage issues in one AW-4 that seemed worse when it was cold.

Do you set the parking bake when you park over night? The rear shoes can feeze to the drums. It happens a lot to our trucks and trailers. You can try leaving the parking brake off and see if that helps, if it does could be your problem.

Since I don't think about it until I have to go somewhere I don't usually let it warm up before I leave. I do have remote start but I have been having issues with my starter lately so I haven't been using it.

I have heard about the drums freezing up in cold weather. I was and automotive student during my freshmen year of college before I transferred to a big University. So when we went over braking they covered how rear parking brakes on front wheel drive cars and trailors will freeze up in cold weather but they said its not that big of a problem on rear wheel drive cars since those are the drive wheels they brake the frozen brakes loose when they move. So I don't think that is my problem.

I don't mud my Jeep at all anymore it hasn't seen "mudding" in 4 years so I doubt that is my problem and I have changed the shooes and all the springs and crap since then too.

I actually haven't had the fluid flushed in about 3 years so I'm probably due for a change but I did have to change the trans pan gasket a couple months ago cuz it was leaking and I had to re-fill the fluid in the pan. I know its not a true change since alot of the fluid still is in the trans but its a little bit fresher.

I acctually thought of the parking brake thing and I am leaving it off for tonight and we will see how it is in the morning.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys and keep them coming if you think of anything else.

Back