• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 swap question

1990JEEPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so i swapped in my 29 spline 8.25 last night. now the e-brake cables on my D35 were both the same length from each drum, somewhere abound 2 feet. the 8.25 cables are different lengths. the passenger side is like 3 feet long and the drivers side is about 18 inches. can i take the cables from the D35 and use them in the 8.25? frankly, i NEVER use my e-brake so i wouldnt oppose not even running it.

and an off topic one, when removing the tail cone from the t-case, its just the three bolts and it should come off right? mine isnt coming off. does it pull straight off or am i missing something? i hit it many times with a rubber mallet trying to break it loose. no dice

I take it you have on older model XJ, and the 8.25 came off a newer model, as they changed the e-brake routing system sometime. Yes, you should use the lines from the D35, as thats what the e-brake system you have needs. I had to the the opposite when putting in a D44 to my '99. E-brakes are nice to have, I wouldn't ditch it.

When I swapped my D35 for a 8.25, I swapped my D35 cabled onto the 8.25 with no problems. E-brake works perfect.

I have done this swap. Use the cables that came with your 90', not the later model cables. Or if you have a lift go with (2) pass side YJ cables and "pretzel" them in the driveshaft tunnel.

As for the tail cone, if I remember correctly there were a couple of screwdriver slots to pry it off at but a rubber mallet should work as well.

well i got it all in. i will get new cables since the D35 passenger side one is seized. so right now i took out the cables and the e-brake hardware in the drum for now. i will get new ones soon though.

sounds like a good time for a zj disc conversion

i want to do discs down the road. but my D35 that was in there was really making funky noises so i had to swap it out quickly, before i could so anything to the 8.25

Hey 1990jeepxj, I have a 90 cherokee as well with the dana 35, my seals are blown in it and I would really like to just ditch the 35 rather then putting money and time into it. I want to swap for a xj dana 44 but they aren't the easiest thing to find and I noticed alot of these 8.25s at the yard. Are they much better then the 35? Is this just a bolt in swap? Sorry for thread hacking and thanks for any advice.

You want a 97+ 8.25 (they changed from 27 spline to 29 spline axle shafts in mid 96, the 29 spline ones are much stronger) but other than that 100% correct.

If you have less than 3-4 inches of lift you may need to swap driveshafts, yes. Make sure the donor has the same engine/trans as you.

Back