• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disco vs Non-Disco Dana 30 newb question

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I was just thinking, you know how the disconnect dana 30 has that "sleeve" containihg the vacuum actuator. Well wouldnt that increase its flexing strength over the non-disco? I know disco's are less reliable, but are their tubes stronger because of that sleeve?

The disconnect axle tubes are definitely stronger.

Ditch the disconnect though. Mine looked perfectly fine and it was causing all sorts of "BANG" and grinding sounds until I replaced it with a one piece shaft. This is with the shift fork permenently moved over using washers.

The disconnect axle tubes are definitely stronger.

Ditch the disconnect though. Mine looked perfectly fine and it was causing all sorts of "BANG" and grinding sounds until I replaced it with a one piece shaft. This is with the shift fork permenently moved over using washers.

Did you install an OX-locker or something similar, or does it just spin all the time?

Ditch the shaft for a one peice or just ditch the entire axle for a non-disco? How well do those Posi-Loc things work, do the cables get stuck up a lot?

From my understanding, the posi-lok works really well. Much better than the vaccuum junk.

Has anyone had any problems with the tubes on the non-disco d30 being weak?

If I were you, I'd rather get a non disco d-30, just for the simple fact that you won't have any seal problems when trying to get a one piece shaft to work. And if you want extra strength, truss it.

To me, even with a posi-lock, the two-piece axle shaft is just too much of a complicated mess to deal with. You got an extra bearing inside the shaft, you got more moving parts, and you have the possibility to end up like me, even with a fully working disconnect, it still screwed up and made 4x4 useless.

However, you can always be like me, and get a one piece shaft from a non-disco to put in your disco D30. You have to get an aftermarket seal that fits the diameters and that can be tricky.

Back