• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

code questions

JESSE A

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 jeep Cherokee 120,000 mi the check engine light is on i got the code but the reader i have does not give a description. I was wondering if anyone knew what it meant.

the code is p1494

thanks for the help jesse

Leak Detection Pump. Check the vacuum hose/connections to the evap cannister, the surge solenoid, the vacuum cannister behind the pass bumper, etc.

where are the evap cannister and surge solenoid?

but thanks for the help also

jesse

The evap/charcoal cannister is by the windshield washer reservoir on pass side firewall. It is a cylinder about 6"x8". There will be hoses from the intake manifold to that. The surge solenoid will be right above it and should be clicking when the engine is running. The vacuum cannister is behind front bumper on passenger side. Make sure fittings/elbows are not dry rotted/cracked and are on tight. Maybe take hoses off and blow through them.

The location of these items have changed for the 97-01 XJs.
The evap charcoal canister is underneath the vehicle attached to the drivers side uniframe above the rear differential. The purge solendoid is attached to a bracket on the passenger side of the firewall...

Back