• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need an aluminum primer

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I have some alum wheels I want to paint flat black. I am going to sand blast and take them down to bare and I need a primer before I paint. I would really like to use a rattle-can primer because of ease of use. Just wondering if there is something that I can pick up at lowes or what not.

Thanks guys
Chadwick

I have a set of Canyon wheels I'm in the process of doing this to right now. A body shop buddy told me to just use Duplicolor's Premium Self Etching Primer (comes in a spray can and is available at Lowes/HD/etc.). Make sure not to get the filler/primer.

The self etching primer is dry in 15-20 minutes and provides good adhesion to the aluminum. I've got 2 of the wheels done and they look really good. I just have to finish getting unpacked and settled into the new house before I can dig these out of the storage unit and finish them up.

cool I will go look right now thanks

Be careful sand blasting aluminum wheels. I sand blasted some aluminum wheels with the finest media I could find and it still gave it a very rough surface. So rough in fact that it wouldn't have looked right with paint on it.

Media blasting works much better. I had mine media blasted (the guy used walnut shells) and they came out looking great. Unfortunately I won't be able to post any pictures for at least a month as they're buried in the back of a storage unit. Gotta finish getting moved first.

They wheels are just going flat black so I think it will be fine. Plus they are far from perfect right now

I made some aluminum 1/4 guards for my rig, used a DA sander with 400grit to rough it up to aid adhesion. Got a can of good Military spec rust colored primer and painted over it. Been about a year now and holding up well.

I got the primer here. www.armyjeepparts.com Look under the Gillespie coatings paint tab.

Post pics when done. If you search there is a guy here who painted his Canyons black too, looked like a great job. Might wanna search out his thread.

I will look into that thanks

zinc chromate can be bought at almost any hardware or paint store.

Good to know because I wanna paint these this week thanks.

Back