• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nutstrips/gas tank skid?

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
How do I fit the nutstrips into the unibody on an '87 XJ? I can't find any links to a picture of how to do it. Also, how much in the way of complication is a frame hitch going to give me?
hitch001.jpg

0114091502.jpg

You have to take the rear bumper off in order to access the inside of the frame rails. Also, there is only one nutstrip usually and it is on the passenger's side. If you plan on using the hitch as a recovery point I would highly recommend getting another for the driver's side. They aren't cheap either. The dealer charged me 35 bucks a pop!

Last edited:
You have to take the rear bumper off in order to access the inside of the frame rails. Also, there is only one nutstrip usually and it is on the passenger's side. If you plan on using the hitch as a recovery point I would highly recommend getting another for the driver's side. They aren't cheap either. The dealer charged me 35 bucks a pop!
I have both nutstrips and the skid, thanks for the info.

I added both the factory skid and hitch to my '96.
(For the next member doing the install) You will probably need to get both nut strips, '97+ Cherokees came with one from the factory.
The factory exhaust mounting bracket is different (narrower) to fit between the skid and springs and needs to be modified or replaced to fit.
Before the install it was helpful to line up everything in the driveway and mark which holes go where.
The factory bolts don't have threads on the tip so you can line up the skid and hitch holes before you start screwing them in. I used standard bolts and ground off the first 1/2 inch of threads to make it easier.
The bumper needs to come off to access the nut-strip holes, as noted above (I had a hitch like yours on our '89, I think it was the only thing holding the bumper on because the brackets were so badly rusted).
The hitch goes on first and can be held on with the rearmost two bolts which aren't used to hold the skid.
I used some wood blocks and a scissors jack to hold the skid in place while I got it aligned and tightened everything down.

Last edited:
heres an idea. Get a buddy with a welder to tack some 1/4 rod to a few nuts. make the rod about 16 - 18 inches with some shorter ones as well. You dont NEED nut strips, you just need a way to reach the nut back in there and a way to hold it in place.

Back