• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Swap...?

jeep-man-man

NAXJA Forum User
I'm entertaining the idea of swapping an auto into my 89 (AX-15)....What will bolt directly up to the 89 engine? TF999? AW4? I would prefer it not to be computer controlled....But if the trans computer is stand-alone, then that 'might' work....I would also be flipping/clocking a D300...Any body swapped to an auto? What noticeable effect would this have on my crawl ratio? I'm just thinking about it, I think my wife would enjoy off-roading if she got to drive too, and I've got some other ideas/reasons....

Just 'thinking'....

I swapped to an AW4 in my '88, the crawl ratio is much better because of the torque convertor. It is a great transmission, but it is computer controlled, I made mine for manual control, or you can swap in the electronics to make it auto like factory. You could also use a 999 from a Wrangler or the transmission (42rh?) from the 94+ ZJs with the 4.0. I think a 727 and even a th400 can be an option by going back to some CJ and FSJ stuff.

Brett: I just checked out your AW4 site....w/ the kit/box you offer, does that also allow complete automatic(factory) operation? I'm thinking if its that simple, that will be the way to go....

Could you give me a rundown on what all the swap requires? Trans, mounts, shifter, ???? Are all AW4's from late 80's early 90's the same? What about Torque Converters? Can these trans' be easily 'souped' up, more line pressure/firmer shifts?

P.S. You wouldn't send me the schematics of the controller/box you offer would ya??:looney:

Get an adapter and run a 700R4?

The controller I offer won't allow factory automatic operation unless you install the factory TCM. The AW4 was 21 spline with a .705 4th gear from 87-90 and 23 spline with .75 4th gear from 91 on. The electronics are the same from 87-96. The valve body can be upgraded by IPT or Level10.

No 700r4 for me...

Since AW4's have different spline counts...Which would I need? And just for clarification, the box/kit you sell IS stand-alone, right? How easily does the factory TCM integrate into what I've already got?

Could you also give me a run-down on the parts required...I'll need to know, so I can start investigating pricing...Thanks...

I also swapped in an AW-4 for my AX-15. Don't forget the pilot bearing. If you are keeping an NP-231 you will also need to swap drive shafts, as they are different lengths. I hooked up the TCU to my manual harness. It really does not use the ECU, but you will need a TPS for the automatic.

I would recommend using the factory TCU and add Brett's shifter mod. That way you have the best of both worlds.

old_man said:
I also swapped in an AW-4 for my AX-15. Don't forget the pilot bearing. If you are keeping an NP-231 you will also need to swap drive shafts, as they are different lengths. I hooked up the TCU to my manual harness. It really does not use the ECU, but you will need a TPS for the automatic.

I would recommend using the factory TCU and add Brett's shifter mod. That way you have the best of both worlds.
what he said.

My controller is standalone if you are satisfied with only manual control, but you will need the factory electronics if you want auto control.

also, the electronics changed in 97 and the spline count changed in 91, so you want pre 97 and both the tranny and t-case to be on the same side of 91.

I'm afraid I will forget something if I try to list all the components from memory, but here it goes: tranny, t-case, flexplate, tranny mount, TV cable and bracket for throttlebody, floor shifter with cable, cooler lines, cooler (optional), transmission electronics, possibly driveshafts (depends on if you're lifting at the same time, etc)

jeep-man-man said:
No 700r4 for me...

Since AW4's have different spline counts...Which would I need? And just for clarification, the box/kit you sell IS stand-alone, right? How easily does the factory TCM integrate into what I've already got?

Could you also give me a run-down on the parts required...I'll need to know, so I can start investigating pricing...Thanks...

The AX-15 has a 23-spline output shaft, so you'll want a later AW4. Or, just be sure to get an AW4 and transfer case all together, and don't worry about what you get until later.

5-90

Back