• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!! No Start!!!

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
So my 93XJ was running perfectly last night, then I get into her this morning and she just wont start. All my power accesories come on, but there is no crank nothing!!! Anyone have any ideas for where I should start? i tried hooking my car up to and jumping it, but nothing...

Again, there is no attempt to crank, all power funtions work including windows, locks, radio, lights, but there is no start!

***side note - the Jeep in an automatic and was shut off in drive and left that way over night, would that have anything to do with it? Can't see how it would, but thought I would throw that in***

Quick test: Turn on headlights, have 2nd person attempt to start while you observe headlights--if the headlights don't dim, check the NSS. If the headlights severly dim or go out you have a bad battery or starter--battery can't handle load or starter load is too high.

You can test the starter by jumping across the primary battery lead and starter relay lead where they both connect at the starter solenoid. Starter cranks, test starter relay. Note: this test bypasses NSS.

NSS = Neutral Safety Switch.
Its just the name for the sensor that tells that the tranny is safe to start. Park or neutral... if you left it in drive all night and then put it in park that might be our culprit? if the temps are cold and it won't move right the NSS could be stuck open.
I would start there.

Hallo. Here is a diagram of the starter. You can connect the pins of the starterrelay 30 and 87 for testing and bypass.
When you connect them with a jumpwire and the starter motor is turning, the problem is the fuse, ignitionswitch,starterrelay or the NSS.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
If you take a big screwdriver and put it firmly across the two terminals with wires going to them, it should crank. But make sure you are in park or the vehicle (if the key is on) could start and run you over. If it doesn't crank, the problem is the starter, battery, or the big wire/connections in between the battery and starter. If it does crank at that point, the NSS, starter relay, key switch and others comes in to question.

If you take a big screwdriver and put it firmly across the two terminals with wires going to them, it should crank. But make sure you are in park or the vehicle (if the key is on) could start and run you over. If it doesn't crank, the problem is the starter, battery, or the big wire/connections in between the battery and starter. If it does crank at that point, the NSS, starter relay, key switch and others comes in to question.

Winterbeater, If you connect the 2 big contacts on the solenoid with a crewdriver the startermotor will only spin ? :D

But I mean if I try this and it starts, will that fix the problem or will that tell me that it's fubared and that I need a new one? Basically will starting it close the switch that is stuck open?

Winterbeater, If you connect the 2 big contacts on the solenoid with a crewdriver the startermotor will only spin ? :D

Mr. Hoppenbrouwers,
You've mentioned that on other threads, so let's work this out so that I understand it.
1.) Big wire is always hot.
2.) Crossing current to little wire at the starter energized the solenoid.
3.) Solenoid pushes starter gear to engage flywheel gear and completes contacts to make starter motor spin.
4.) Since starter motor is engaged in flywheel while it is spinning, vehicle engine spins (turns over).

Do you see somthing I have missed or have wrong?

:anon:

UPDATE - I came home from work and it started right away so im guessing the NSS was stuck open and I will take it apart on Saturday and clean it. Thanks for the help, what a resourceful and helpful site :cheers:

Aw Gee, you Canadians are so nice!

Just kidding, we are all here to learn and help each other.

If the NSS doesn't fix it, let us know!

Hallo Winterbeater,please call me Wim.

My idea is, that the solenoid is not activated itself, and the plunjer will not coming out to the flyingwheel.(connecting the 2 big contacts on the solenoid).
Indeed the current will come from the always hot wire directly to the startermotor. So imo the startermotor will only give a soft spinning. And this test is safe in comparison with the jumpwiring on the starterrelay (engine can start)
I did put a questionmark behind my line, so let it open for any respons.:laugh:

Last edited:
Hallo Winterbeater,please call me Wim.

My idea is, that the solenoid is not activated itself, and the plunjer will not coming out to the flyingwheel.(connecting the 2 big contacts on the solenoid).
Indeed the current will come from the always hot wire directly to the startermotor. So imo the startermotor will only give a soft spinning. And this test is safe in comparison with the jumpwiring on the starterrelay (engine can start)
I did put a questionmark behind my line, so let it open for any respons.:laugh:

:wave: Hello Wim, When current is jumped to the small wire, this is the solenoid. So at that point, both big (motor) wire and small (solenoid) wire have current, just like when you turn the key. So gear is pushed into position and motor turns (and gas motor turns). I've done this many times with this style of 2 terminal starter on many vehicles.

Back