• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bike rack recommendations?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to get a bike rack for the roof, but want some opinions before I go ordering all the stuff. Is there anywhere to order everything I need all in one package or do I have to order each component separately like the crossbars and all that? ANy recommendations on Thule vs Yakima or other brands? The one that I see that I like so far is the Yakima Raptor rack since I wouldn't have to remove the wheel.

Anyone have experience with these racks?

My advise is to put it on the hitch!! If you put it on the roof........... getting your bike up and down becomes a serious pain and if you have lift.......:cry:

true, but my garage is a one car garage, and I don't really wanna have to find a place to put that thing when I'm not using it. one thing that I didn't think of until right now though is, are those roof bars likely to get stolen, or is it common at all?

true, but my garage is a one car garage, and I don't really wanna have to find a place to put that thing when I'm not using it. one thing that I didn't think of until right now though is, are those roof bars likely to get stolen, or is it common at all?

Depends on where you live and if you use the locks that come with the setup! I understand having limited space BUT if you use your bike often you WILL understand where I am coming from!!

Ahh. I didn't know that you could lock them on. I've looked at a couple of the hitch ones, and the fact that I can also carry 3 bikes w/o buying more stuff is definitely a plus.

you can get a folding rack for your reciever that doesnt take up much space at all when not on the jeep. i made one that holds 4 bikes and folds for storage in 1 day.....so i agree try and keep it off the roof

I have that yakima rack set up
DSCF0692.jpg

i like my bikes up there, so i can still get in the hatch easy. it locks, and you can get locking deals for the bikes themselves

Going with either Thule or Yakima is what I would recommend. Although they tend to be expensive. I've been running Thule products for over 20 years without any failures tracked back to the products. Even ripping a rack off my Honda (3 times) didn't damage the load bars, footing, fork mount bike carriers or kayaker stackers. However the Honda didn't fair so well :(.

I've got both gutter mount (300) and existing roof rack footing (430 Trakker II) between my XJ's. Both have worked flawlessly. I'd opt for the Trakker II's as they don't risk finish damage as the gutter mount does. I believe 50" LB's are recommended, although on one XJ I went with 60's for extra capacity.

One XJ is running fork mounts that are upwards of 15 years old. Only maintenance has been replacing rear tire straps. The other XJ runs Vila Visa fork mounts while my WJ is running 517 Pelotons.

I've used exclusively fork mount carriers until last year when I put a Thule hitch mount (916 - T2) on my TJ. The hitch mount works but (as you noted) storing the rack is a pain.

From what I've Yak products are just as well made as Thule.

Yup, can't go wrong with Thule or Yakima. I've got the Trakker foot packs for my Thule bars and they've been great.

jeep&bikessized.JPG

I also have Yakima truck bed mounts bolted to the back of the back seat for interior racks.

bikemountsized.JPG

bike&hiliftsized.JPG

i've got thule... i've worked at a thule dealing bike shop for quite some time, so it worked out well monetarily, but i wouldn't hesitate to get thule again. their product support is awesome, and on top of it, you rarely need support.

P1010074.jpg

I didn't mention interior mounts as the question was focused on roof racks. However interior mounts are the safest for the bikes and I believe the cheapest.

Pros:
1) Cheap, all you need is the fork mount head. I used old thule carrier heads
2) Bikes are safe from weather, theft, etc.
3) Bikes can stay loaded 24x7x365.
4) Easy Access

Cons:
1) Installation (I'd recommend dropping the gas tank).
2) A bit reduced rear visibility.
3) The fork mounts may get in the way when loading other gear, etc.

Here's the design I came up with 9 years ago and still in use. With this setup, I can carrier 4 mounted bikes (2 top / 2 inside).

Mvc-002fsmall.jpg
]

Nice pic Anthony!!

Something to think about with the roof top ones is that they can get caught on the trail!! I have Thule, the kind that mounts on the rain gutter, and I've caught the rack on the trail and luckily it slid down the side of the rain gutter when I hit it. Now I try not to have them on there when I wheel...at least tight trails!

The top racks are key because they fit not only bikes but snowboards, skis, canoes, kayaks, etc. You can put anything up there! I've got locking things on mine but I never lock them....who's gonna steal roof racks?? Oh, and look for them used, because they are way expensive new!

Well I work at a bike shop that sells mainly Yakima, but also Thule. I ended up getting a Yakima hatch rack (Super Joe 3) a year ago, used it on various cars multiple times...but then got a Jeep, so I bought a Thule T2 (I have big, expensive, full suspension bikes) and that rack worked great. But it sounds like a hitch isn't what you want. That being said, I sold my Thule T2 (needed money) and bought a Yakima roof rack set-up (got 2 ski racks for free, so bought gutter mount and bars) which is very strong. I have a roof rack set-up for bikes on my Van using Thule, it's awesome...but a pain to get bikes up and down.

From everything I've learned with all the possible set-ups, it depends on your bike and what kinda driving the car is seeing.

For road bikes, roof racks are great (convient). For just once in awhile type riding, hatch racks are great (cheap). For big bike/mountain bike racks I say stick with a hitch. You CAN buy locks for the Yakima hitch mount racks (a lockable pin) and for my Thule T2 I just stuck a bike lock through the hitch chain holes and to the rack to slow anyone who wants it down.

Go to your local bike shop and ask for some help/details. And if you can afford it, buy locally. It helps support the knowledgable staff.

~Scott

I know that you don't want a hitch mounted carrier, but I love having my bikes off my hitch. I don't know how you roof mounted guy's can even stand to use it, especially if your a weekend rider (or more). Getting the bike up on and off the top of my civic was bad enough.

No pics of the jeep setup, but here's my hooptie...

Img_2001.jpg

Nice bike. MuddyBeast mentioned having big full suspensions, and that actually what I'm gonna be buying, a DH/FR bike, so it'll probably be in the 35-40 lb range at least, so the hitch mount may be a better option.

I think I'm also gonna get around to mounting the stuff inside too, but the fact that I have a sub box and amps back there makes it a hassle sometimes.

hitch mount is the way to go. used all my jeeps as chair lifts for some epic dh runs. i have a thule rack, can't remember which model thou. my buddy has a roof rack on his wrx and i can't stand lifting my single speed up on top of his tiny car.

ran the inside setup like the other guys posted on my old xj and explorer. worked when on the xj but i ended up busting a window out of the explorer playing on the beach. if you do the inside route make sure you tie the bars down so the dont sway back and forth.

i full sus dh bike gets alil tipping when you lift it over your head. hated putting dh bikes on the top shelf when i worked at the bike shop. another plus about the hitch mount is if you are creative you can use it to haul other stuff. i used to hual nasty trash, fishing poles, skis, and we one time(lets just say a bad idea)

Back