• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear winch bumper

dennis461

NAXJA Forum User
I got stuck recently and could have used a strong rear winch bumper.
I've got a receiver, but I'd like to find something more substantial which might bolt up to the bumper mounts and the receiver mounting holes both.
Anyone seen something like this?
I realize it might have to mount a little low to get the liftgate open.

It would go on my 1991
677snowday2-med.JPG

why not just get one of the hitch mount cradles for the winch and then you can put it on front or rear when you need it and store it inside of the jeep out of the elements when you don't need it?

The receiver mount looks too flimsy for any angle pulls, IMHO.
The more snatchblocks trick is not really feasible without a 200' reel of cable (and a couple of days to rig it up.).

I was also thinking of a 7 foot I-beam for the front winch.
Bolt the I-beam to the front bumper, put a snatch block on the passenger side end.
Run winch cable sideways to the snatch block;
then past passenger side back behind rig to tree.
snatch block on tree.
then back alongside driver side other end of I-beam , attach to hole in beam.

As far as I'm concerned, the hitch winch cradles are designed specifically for winching from any angle, so I see no reason to doubt their strength. you could always call the manufacturer and ask them too about angle pulls. I was wheelin' with a jeep this weekend that used one of the hitch cradles and he winched from a bunch of angles, no issue at all.

As far as I'm concerned, the hitch winch cradles are designed specifically for winching from any angle, so I see no reason to doubt their strength. you could always call the manufacturer and ask them too about angle pulls. I was wheelin' with a jeep this weekend that used one of the hitch cradles and he winched from a bunch of angles, no issue at all.
Hmmm, that's food for thought.
I've only seen them used in a straight line here in the Jersey mud.

the winch cradle may be rated for sidepulls but not the front receiver hitch. I'm no expert on winches but both winches I have dont properly spool on side pulls, they tend to keep winding in the same place and jam.

You should always set up your winch rigging to ensure that the winch line is feeding straight into the drum. Side pulls will always bunch up at the sides and can jam the winch.

If you have a couple of recovery chains, snatch blocks and straps you can usually rig a snatch block in front of your winch and adjust it's position by adjusting the length of the chain to the anchorage on the other side of the side pull anchorage you are using to winch from.

A diagram would be better I know.

the front receiver is rated for a side pull when you buy it new you get a sheet telling you all about the diffrent winching you can do

I wheeled back in september with a guy who had a winch in the front and rear of his grand cherokee. I think the bumpers were Warn or ARB, but I don't remember off hand. I got pics somewhere of his setup. I'm sure it isn't too tough to have one of the custom shops on here build a rear winch bumper.

You should always set up your winch rigging to ensure that the winch line is feeding straight into the drum. Side pulls will always bunch up at the sides and can jam the winch.

If you have a couple of recovery chains, snatch blocks and straps you can usually rig a snatch block in front of your winch and adjust it's position by adjusting the length of the chain to the anchorage on the other side of the side pull anchorage you are using to winch from.

A diagram would be better I know.

But what if you need to be pulled sideways off of something? Last time I went out wheeling, I had to be pulled sideways twice. Once to get off a tree and keep from breaking a window and another time to get pulled off a rock that was jammed in my wheel. I got pulled by the rear hitch, but if I had a rear winch, pulling from straight on wouldn't have helped me at all.

Back