• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to do about leaky injectors

.hendrix.

NAXJA Forum User
1987 renix 4.0

#2 and #5 are leaking around top cap, #3 is leaking out of the injector port. can i replace just the caps? i just put in all new "o" rings and they still leak. i'm at a loss about what to do. please help

Replace the whole thing. Per my research on this issue its the only way to really fix it.

1987 renix 4.0

#2 and #5 are leaking around top cap, #3 is leaking out of the injector port. can i replace just the caps? i just put in all new "o" rings and they still leak. i'm at a loss about what to do. please help
replace them all, dont forget to get the fuel rail coupler o ring kits, one on the supply line and one on the regulator, replace all injector o rings too. If you do one at a time, you'll just keep chasing leaky injectors till you do them all anyways. my renix injectors leaked where the body meets the plastic. This is also a good time to upgrade to a ford injector, I did because the price was way less than the stock ones.

Stop.

Halt.

Cease.

Desist.

Does the 87 Renix have MPI like a 90?

You can use Ford (Bosch) orange top 19 lb injectors in place of the stock ones.

You can buy a set of 8 on eBay for $20 to $30 dollars. These are pulls and of course may have problems.

You can buy rebuilt sets of 8 on eBay, that have a warranty and new seals, for $95 and up. I bought mine from lucky7autoinjectors, and am real pleased.

Also, if the fuel rail connectors are not leaking, leave them alone. You can remove the four bolts that hold the rail to the intake, and remove the nut under the vacuum harness, and that should give you plenty of work room with out disconnecting the fuel rail.

Replace them ASAP. Ive seen Jeeps catch fire due to leaky injectors.

My cousin grabbed some for his manche at the junkyard for like $20 and they were perfect. (Just a cheap fix for now thought)

JP had an article about using Ford injectors from a truck or SUV with the 5.4L V-8 (Ford P/N 4L3Z9F593CA) They will be some what expensive (about $300) but are supposed to have a better mist spread due to the 4 hole pattern as opposed to our single hole pattern. (supposedly increasing mileage and improving idle)

I read the JP article, that why I bought mine on eBay for $103 delivered to the door, priority mail, 3 days from Florida to Oregon.

The 19lb orange top injectors have been used in many different engines, and many different vehicles, from v6 autos to E350 vans.

Do an eBay search for mustang or orange top fuel injectors. Or, as said above, check with your local friendly auto salvage guy.

Also, be certain that the fuel pressure regulator is not also part of the problem... I swapped in 6 new injectors, and still had a leak. The slope of the fuel rail let a slow leak from the FPR trickle rearward and fooled me.

i ordered ford ones. thanks for the help

Smart move, you were a serious fire hazard otherwise!! The cost to replace an XJ is much more than a set of injectors!!:lecture:

Back