• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB to Antenna coax type and length...need advise.

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Well, picked up a Uniden on ebay, waiting for delivery.

Found a Firestik Firefly for $13.99 plus $5.25 for shipping, cheapest I've been able to find.

Now for my question. For you guys who own XJ's, what length coax have you used?

I'm planning on installing it on the rear someplace. Maybe close to the bumper.

Do you think this one will work? 18 ft Astatic GREY RG8X plug to plug grey coax cable with 95% shielding for cb and ham radios. The cable has 4 point soldered PL-259 connectors.

Thanks...

That is a great choice....I use RG8X on all my radios including VHF/UHF ham rigs...as for the length you should be fine as well, if it's a bit short you can "snake" it under the carpet.

have to use 18 feet to keep wave right or something like that. it should actually be 36 ft (length of the wave) but that's just not practical. don't cut coax either. when you store the excess, don't roll it up, snake it, like back and forth (also to keep wave normal)

18ft (which is one of the ideal lengths for tuning your radio) was perfect for me. I ran mine from under the dash, behind the lower trim on the passenger side, out the plastic hole plug on the rear of the vehicle, and up to the top of my spare tire mounting arm. I think I had a few inches of left over.

RG8X will work fine, just as long as the lenght is divisable by 3. There are a lot of different lenghts used but 18, or 21 ft is the average for a mobile. Your standing wave then can be further adjusted by making the tip of the firestick longer or shorter. (They have an adjustable tip) Also to properly set the standing wave you will need a SWR meter. I have set up many over the years on my HF, VHF, & UHF Ham equipment. Good luck & 73's.

Last edited:
i run 6 feet from radio to box(amp) and 12 foot from box to antenna. total 18 foot. and as far as reactance and reflect goes, lenth does matter.

i run 6 feet from radio to box(amp) and 12 foot from box to antenna. total 18 foot. and as far as reactance and reflect goes, lenth does matter.

You ARE 100% correct! people who think the 18' deal matters, do a google search on some of the ham sites and they say the same:worship::worship:

I also use 18' of Astatic RG8x and Amphenol connectors, I like the firestick but recently put a Wilson Flex on after snapping a FS2 and I immediately dropped my SWR from 2.2 to .5

I do not have the ground wire hooked up to the Wilson and the adjustment tip was removed to acquire the lowest SWR in my case.

Back