• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooling lines

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to find the part numbers for the tranny cooling lines for my xj. i have a 97 but i bought a 94 used trans 4wd auto and it needs the cooling lines, the lines on the 97 are crimped and junk. kragen cant seem to find the one i need. anyone got the part numbers from the 2 that come out of the tranny? i think the brand is Dorman?

ya i just dont feel like driving 25 miles to the closest auto zone when i have a kragen right down the street from my house. unless they ship to my house? thanks for the posts

well ill tell ya that i wouldnt be havin to replace my trans if i didnt decide to put rubber lines on in the first place. so i wont be doin that again

well ill tell ya that i wouldnt be havin to replace my trans if i didnt decide to put rubber lines on in the first place. so i wont be doin that again

so what exactly happened? is it possible that you didnt use the correct grade of rubber line? not trying to second guess you. i dont even know if there is a correct grade of rubber line for tranny fluid.

you could get some hard line and bend it yourself.

the rubber line i used had TRANSMISSION COOLER LINE in white ink on it lol. so yes id say it was the right stuff. you are right about the second part though. and i think thats what im gonna do, im just wondering how i could bend it properly without a bender. any suggestions on that?

what happened was my buddy crimped both cooler lines when we were installing my 3.5" lift. he decided it was a smart idea to put a wrench on the other side of the left upper control arm bolt so that it would stop spinning. whcih in return smashed the lines. it sawed off the smashed part and put the rubber line there and double clamped it. aparently it that wasnt good enough and my fluid leaked out on the freeway. of course i didnt notice i ran out of fluid until my jeep lost all power lol. i learned my lesson the hard way about jimmy rigging things lol. i think ill stick with the hard lines for when i install the new trans.

make sure the new tranny has the right fittings for the hard lines make sure the bushing and orings are in right if not use the ones off your old tranny they just bolt right off 7/8 i believe

What I've done to adapt in hose is to put a VERY small flare in the metal end. This can be done with a lot of different tool box items including a steel ball or tapered punch. Then force the hose over it about an inch and double clamp. It won't come off.

Or else buy tubing benders and flaring tools for the endforms. I'm not sure if they are double flare like brakelines or some othe form.

I picked up a pair of tranny lines from the local bone yard. 10 bucks! :guitar:

thanks for the links tiger. ill prob do that if the junk yard doesnt have anything

As far as using rubber lines goes. The rubber isn't actually what failed is it? Just the connection. So if you can salvage what's left of the lines coming out of the tranny...and the ones going into the radiator (or cooler) you can put flare fittings on them and close the gap with rubber hose.

Once you get the fittings in place, working with the rubber is much easier than bending tubing. Plus then you can get rid of those crappy quick-disco's on the tranny lines. I've been running these rubber lines with brass fittings for over 3 years and it works better, it's not "jimmy" rigged.

trans001-1.jpg

moral of the story: however you fix it, fix it RIGHT, as was stated above, when the lines go... so does your aw4.... (not allways, but it can happen, and happened to a friends xj)

just make sure its not going anywhere, and make sure its secured to the motor, as if its bouncing around it will easily get crushed.

paradise has got a nice set up. Do you also have a trans temp guage running from that? def a good idea!

paradise has got a nice set up. Do you also have a trans temp guage running from that? def a good idea!

Thanks. Yes that's a temp gauge wire. Had to keep part of the metal line for a ground. In the summer I take the radiator tranny "heat exchanger" out of the loop and run it straight through the HD trans cooler. Runs about 40 degrees cooler that way.

Not hijacking, just answering a question. Sorry.

ya ill prob do that too, it would def be a good investment

Back