• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting a rebuild engine?

sleeperjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My 4.0 has 230,000 miles, and while it runs decent, it doesn't have the power it used to. I figure I will eventually need to get a rebuilt engine in it. I figure some of you have had to do that before, so what is the best way to go about doing that. Do I find a local shop to rebuild mine? Do I just order one that has already been rebuilt? I live in the country so I don't think there are a lot of shops that I would trust to do the job. What route would you suggest, and what's a guestimate price range?

thanks

What year is your Jeep?

Do you have any other symptoms besides loss of power? Could be something else besides a tired engine. Some engine testing may help you confirm.

As far as rebuilds, it's buyer beware. They are only as good as the shop that does the work and that varies tremendously as does the bill. You can buy an already rebuilt engine and bring your core back after the swap or you can have your engine rebuilt. Or you can buy a "remanufactured" engine. Big differences between rebuilt and remanufactured so the best advice I can give you is to "do your homework" and get a number of quotes/recommendations. Be sure that any shop that you consider does a LOT of rebuilds.

Consider buying a salvage engine. 4.0 engines are pretty plentiful. A very cost effective way to get fresh ponies under your hood and they are plug and play.

I was wondering the same. Any opinions on crate motors(napa, advance auto, jasper). This would be the most time efficient way for me.

Or you can buy another XJ with lower miles that has a bad trans or other problems. I bought a 93 Country with 144k and ran great with a bad rear and no rust. I needed it as a parts car and used everything I needed. My XJ has about 300k and still runs good but not as it should. I have a fresh rebuilt head and will swap the mtr over w/99 up head and APN header all at one time. Compression and leak down test already done. Country cost me $400. I even drove around about a year.

Check your compression. If it's good and you think you've lost power, it's from some other reason than a worn out motor. If it's low compression, you can valve job and re-ring right in the vehicle. Your compression is probably still good and you should check your catalytic convertor for blockage, timing, and fuel mixture. Looking at the spark plug condition is also a good indicator.

It could even be your imagination. Find another XJ that's newer and drag race him.

X2.

Test, test, and test some more.

Low fuel pressure, weak/clogged injectors, wrong gearing for tire size and a heck of a lot more things to check/repair before rebuilding or replacing and engine.

A hairball?

Thanks, that gives me a lot of stuff to research and test. I've put a lot of money into it over the years upgrading various parts, but haven't really touched the engine besides a high voltage coil, and associated wires and such. I've been concerned about my fuel injectors, but am not sure how to test them. I think I will look into getting a compression test done. That way, I will have an idea of how bad, or not bad it is. I think its a combination of things, ranging from exhaust to vacuum. It's an 89 and pretty much everything is old except the suspension parts.

Back