• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer wiring

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a hitch at a local Pick A Part, and I can not figure out how to install the trailer wiring harness, My friend told me that I needed to remove my spare tire, and remove the plastic behind it, and that I could just plug my harness in their, but I can not see how? I have a 1998 Cherokee Classic. Sorry for such a dumb question

Well, I'm kind of broke, when i get more money i will probably buy a different one, but for now I would like to try to connect the wiring harness that came with the kit, I will get some pics up if it helps

You have to use one of the types as listed above.

once you get the adapater as listed above, all i did was unsrew the driverside tail light. on my 01 cherokee there should be a plastic disk about 2 inches in diameter, i cut a slit in it and ran all the wiring through that disk and down to the backside of the bumper then done through the trailer hook up.

Cherokee's have separate turn signals and brake lights. Trailers have combined turn and brake lights. That's why you gotta have the adapter. Or add more lights and wires to the trailer.

Back