• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights; before and after

imprezkid

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked through tons of headlight upgrade threads, but i have been unable to find any before and after of these upgrades,

so if you have them, please post up before and afters of your headlight mods(whether it be bulbs, harness upgrade, or complete headlight makeover), just make sure you say what you did.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures but I purchased some headlight conversion for the xj for $24! I got the lights on ebay(searched through the filters) and they work awesome. You get new glass fixtures loaded with H4 hi/lo halogens. The item title is 7901 jeep cherokee diamond cut headlights. I recommend these lights. They are a cheap alternative to the stock "coleman lanterns" which are about as effective as candles!

So if you went with that HID kit, you're in for $399 and you still need the housings. You want the kit that doesn't cut out the low beams when you turn on the high beams. Hot strikes make the HID bulbs burn out quicker. I have a Mark VIII with the HID lights. They are SUPER bright and look cool because they are WHITE, but if you burn out a bulb, it's $600 per side. That kit you linked into might work for me on that if they burn out. But I try not to drive it much at night, and I never flash the brights, because the lows flash off.

No pics, but I upgraded to the IPF H4 housings and some xenon bulbs. Soon I will have an upgraded harness when I get off my butt.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures but I purchased some headlight conversion for the xj for $24! I got the lights on ebay(searched through the filters) and they work awesome. You get new glass fixtures loaded with H4 hi/lo halogens. The item title is 7901 jeep cherokee diamond cut headlights. I recommend these lights. They are a cheap alternative to the stock "coleman lanterns" which are about as effective as candles!

I just ordered the same lights, 2 sets, one for the 96 and one for the 2000, I will hopefully get some b4 and after pics once i get them installed.

I just ordered the same lights, 2 sets, one for the 96 and one for the 2000, I will hopefully get some b4 and after pics once i get them installed.

I bought the very same lights. Not happy with them. They are much brighter for sure...BUT...they seem to spread the light everywhere. I drove with them for a couple days and put my Silver Star sealed beams back on.

One of the problems was the housing for the lights + the harness plug make the light stick out about 1/8" to 1/4" too far and make it next to impossible to adjust the light (horiz/vertical). It's like they're jammed up against the inside sheet metal...I didn't like that either.

Just my .02

I'll stick with the Silver Stars and MAYBE upgrade the harness instead or spring for the IPF H4's (and the harness). I also noticed that during the install that the connectors on the stock harness were slightly corroded and oxidized so I cleaned them up bright and shiny with a wire wheel on my Dremel and loaded them up with dielectric grease...result was I have brighter Silver Stars now...and I can aim them better.

I bought the very same lights. Not happy with them. They are much brighter for sure...BUT...they seem to spread the light everywhere. I drove with them for a couple days and put my Silver Star sealed beams back on.

One of the problems was the housing for the lights + the harness plug make the light stick out about 1/8" to 1/4" too far and make it next to impossible to adjust the light (horiz/vertical). It's like they're jammed up against the inside sheet metal...I didn't like that either.

Just my .02

I'll stick with the Silver Stars and MAYBE upgrade the harness instead or spring for the IPF H4's (and the harness). I also noticed that during the install that the connectors on the stock harness were slightly corroded and oxidized so I cleaned them up bright and shiny with a wire wheel on my Dremel and loaded them up with dielectric grease...result was I have brighter Silver Stars now...and I can aim them better.

well i sure hope i have better luck, i'm gunna be mad if it don't work like i want... but life goes on, i just figrued just about anything would be better than the little flashlights that come stock... i'm sure if they don't turn out good i can find someone willing to buy them.

Search for Ecode headlights and read the forum in modtech forum. Many people have had great success with the Ecode lights and many also mention that they have very sharp cut-offs as oppose to the "diamond-cut" lights you guys bought. You can even run the lower power lights with stock harness if you want and then upgrade to 100w/55w bulbs after you beef up your harness.

They are $27.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not real picky. Eventually I will upgrade to brighter bulbs. Like I said what a difference compared to stock. I had an 08' silverado(getting rid of it brought me and the xj together, too expensive,laid off) w/ bright stockers and was shocked w/ the stock xjs candles. hope ya like the lights MJ

Back