• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help! XJ with High Oil Pressure

BeijingJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
First, thank you for your time to read this, my first post here!
I have a 99 Sport 4.0 5 spd 4X4. Lately I am having high oil pressure problem. Before the problem occurred, it idles at 30-35 psi and runs at 45-50 psi. I took it to a trusted mechanic to do an oil change, because of the cold temperature I decided to use 5W30 instead the 10W40. Two days after the change, I noticed the oil pressure change. It idled at 50 psi, ran around 55 psi (1500 rpm). Two days after that it maxed out to 80 psi when running (1600-2000 rpm). I managed to get it to work 40 mph in 5th gear, 55 psi at 1100 rpm, turned off the engine, let it sat for couple of hours. Restarted it, idled at 50 psi, ran around 55 psi, never max out again.
I took it back to my mechanic, hooked with to a mechanic gauge, verified my gauge reading was accurate. When we revved up the engine, the oil pressure increased dramatically, but it went down right after we released the throttle. We added sea foam into the engine, with in seconds everything was back to normal. Idled at 30-35, run at 45-50. We then drained the oil/sea foam, replaced the oil with 5W30, a new oil filter, and a new oil pressure sending unit. Restarted the engine, immediately it idled at 50 psi again. Two days later the maxed out at 80 psi.
Last weekend I took it to my local Jeep Dealership, they replaced the oil with 10W40 and the filter again. It idled at 50 psi, ran around 55 psi for the first 2 days. Today on my way to work, again it maxed out at 80 psi (2000 rpm).
Please advice.
Best,

I replaced the oil pressure sender on my 98 and it now reads idling at around 40-50 psi, going all the way up to 80 depending on throttle. Old oil pressure sender, which I broke, used to read idling at 15 psi, never really got above 40 under throttle.

I figured my old sender unit was just dirty and inaccurate. I know my oil capacity is correct and all that, so I'm not worrying about it.

Are you suggesting my pressure is normal? In the jeep menu, it states the acceptable oil pressure is between 25-65 psi. Best.

I'd say it's normal. As long as you're not seeing any symptoms of a problem, smoking, rough running, etc. I wouldn't worry. I assume you have the correct capacity of oil in there since it was last done at the dealer.

did you verify it was 80 psi with the mechanical gauge?

i would say your oil pressure is normal.
Yes, I did. And that is what worries me.
The oil has been replaced 3 times. First time with NAPA 5W30 and a new filter, second time with Mobile One 5W30 and a new filter, third time with Mopar brand 10W40 and new filter. I drove about 150 miles between each change. Oil looked very clean when drained. After each change, it always ran well for the first two days, starting on the third day it will max out to 80+ :flame:

2000 FSM says 13-75PSI. 1600RPM+ should be 37-75PSI. Wierd how it changes after 3 days. The oil filters weren't all from the same source, were they? (Possible bad batch of oil filters? -- highly unlikely wild ass guess)

there are not from the same source Winterbeater. The first one was a NAPA filter, second was a Farm filter, and the third was a Mopar filter.

For the price, Napa Gold Oil Filters are the best you can get. They are made by Wix

Where is the ccv lines or the back grommet?

the ccv(crank case ventilation) lines come out of the valve cover and go to the intake mainifold and to the air intake system. sometimes the back line get clogged or the grommet at the rear of the valve cover gets clogged.

the ccv(crank case ventilation) lines come out of the valve cover and go to the intake mainifold and to the air intake system. sometimes the back line get clogged or the grommet at the rear of the valve cover gets clogged.

IMHO, unlikely that causes high oil pressure. Take the oil fill cap off while running and see if your oil pressure drops if you want to test for that.

With Seafoam, probably not a sludge problem. Still, the oil pump relief valve could be sticking. I'd give it a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil and not watch the gauge so much. 80 pounds cold at road speeds is common for my '90 with 195k. Hot, it runs 35.

Now, if it pegged the needle and stayed there, I'd look futher, but I bet it's been doing it all along - you just finally noticed.

I don't think a fouled ccv would cause that much of a problem.

Having said that, back in my Volvo Tech days there was a problem with the 4 cyl. mid eighties engines clogging the ccv system, and that was causing measureable positive pressure and forcing oil to leak through the main and cam seals, but I don't remember any weird oil pressure gauge readings being reported.

You could rig a cheapo mechanical gauge temporairily to monitor the pressure while driving. Might prove you have a problem, or not. Cheap peace of mind.

Good luck.

Back