• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short shock bolt rant

Matthew Currie

NAXJA Member #760
After shearing off a couple of upper shock bolts, as usual. Punched them out and welded nuts to strips to insert from behind, not such a big deal I guess. But how hard would it have been for the engineering geniuses to have put a couple of little slots in there, and used replaceable nuts with a flag (like the axle end nut on the track bar) in the first place? Sheesh!

Ok, rant over, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :compwork:

Hi,
Last summer I very carefully took out all my rear upper shock mount bolts and greased the threads and then put them back in, I was lucky and they all came out OK. I had read about them breaking and thought I would try some preventative maintainance, I might even do the same thing again this summer. Like you say, a bit of thought by the designers would have saved all this bother. Another weak point is the front door hinges, they are not really up to the job, if they had used a bit thicker metal in the door pillar, it would again have saved a lot of problems. They got some things right though, the engine is damn near bullet proof!!

Back