• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DPG belly skid: every single bolt is stripped. Body flex?

Starscream

NAXJA Forum User
Just like the title says. I've been getting three faint pops when turning. I suspected my steering but didn't find anything wrong. I was looking under the Jeep today just out of curiosity and found one of the bolts almost completely falling out. I went to tighten them all up and 7/10 were finger loose. I immediately shat my pants. After that, I found out that all of them - every last one - was stripped and not tightening. Is this from body flex or what? The skid was installed with a standard impact about two or three years ago and they've never been loose before. Now I'm going to have to replace them and find a different mounting option since they aren't holding tight.

What gives? :confused:

Does that skid use self-tapping bolts into the frame rails?
I honestly don't remember. I need to check. I couldn't see too well because it was dark out when I tightened them back up a few hours ago.

EDIT: Yeah, they are. I just checked DPG's site and I have the older design which they say used self-tappers. If the install was bad I'd think they would've come lose two years ago. :dunno:
bam.

your unirails will flex before the bolts strip
What?

Last edited:
call dpg and see what it'd take to get the new mounts.
who knows maybe he'll compensate you since the mounts failed???
maybe...

try using nut-serts. with grade 5 bolts.
That seems simple enough. I've used them before without trouble, I'm just worried they may not fair as well with a skid plate that I really beat on.

call dpg and see what it'd take to get the new mounts.
who knows maybe he'll compensate you since the mounts failed???
maybe...
It doesn't look like it really has new mounts, just different hardware and flush bolts.

if they are sefl tappers then all my previous statements are void.

the newer style uses 3/8" bolts bolted through the framerails with big washers on each end

I'd rather re-do self-tappers than have nutserts spin, not allowing the bolts to come out. That's what's going on with my t-case skid right now.

I have the new style DPG skid with the bolts through the frame rail.
I wouldn't mount it any other way. Do it right and mount them through the frame rail.

Useing an impact on self tappers is not a good idea.:doh:
Not knowing that they are self tappers with a couple hours of you re-torqueing them!! hasta

Michael

I have the new style DPG skid with the bolts through the frame rail.
I wouldn't mount it any other way. Do it right and mount them through the frame rail.
That's how I'll redo it.
Useing an impact on self tappers is not a good idea.:doh:
I was more of a noob back in the day :dunce:
Not knowing that they are self tappers with a couple hours of you re-torqueing them!!
? It took like five mins to check them all to feel they were stripped, and I never pulled them out to look 'cuz it was freezing and dark.

Just like the title says. I've been getting three faint pops when turning. I suspected my steering but didn't find anything wrong. I was looking under the Jeep today just out of curiosity and found one of the bolts almost completely falling out. I went to tighten them all up and 7/10 were finger loose. I immediately shat my pants. After that, I found out that all of them - every last one - was stripped and not tightening. Is this from body flex or what? The skid was installed with a standard impact about two or three years ago and they've never been loose before. Now I'm going to have to replace them and find a different mounting option since they aren't holding tight.

What gives? :confused:
yet another reason to run stiffeners. you will have something real to bite into

bit of a hijack, how DO y'all run stiffeners and a tcase skid like the dpg one? Is there a setup that works better than another? I"m planning on sliders, stiffeners and a tcase skid.

thanks!

The skid is really tight on the rails. There is no way you could fit stiffeners. If you were to bend it out to fit stiffeners, the sides of the skid would no longer be vertical.

The skid itself does act as a stiffener, since it bolts on with 3 bolts per side, and ties in to the crossmember.

The skid is really tight on the rails. There is no way you could fit stiffeners. If you were to bend it out to fit stiffeners, the sides of the skid would no longer be vertical.

The skid itself does act as a stiffener, since it bolts on with 3 bolts per side, and ties in to the crossmember.

so, could one fit the tcase skid, and then weld stiffeners fore and aft of the skid mount? I guess you could just trim the length of the skid mount out of the stiffener?

Back on topic, seems like the through bolt idea is a way-better way to go....hope that fixes the problem.

Back