• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto vs. Manual

bory

NAXJA Forum User
what is better for climbing nad mudding. i hear 9 million opinions about this. to bad theres not a poll.

whats easier to..
climb-
mud-
both-

i have 2 xj's, both manual.

ive driven my frineds auto xj on the same trial i bring mine on and its a world of a difference. its nice to have an auto for trails because you can just crawl and not have to worry about working the clutch, but i still thing manuals are more fun to drive.

The two biggest differences I see are this:

When crawling and mudding, you don't want to worry about your clutch (or at least I don't), and

When I'm doing hill climbs or bogging, it really ticks me off when my auto decides to shift into 2nd and I lose a good ammount of RPMs. This'll be cured eventually, most likely by one of Brett's shifters.

93_xj said:
its nice to have an auto for trails because you can just crawl and not have to worry about working the clutch, but i still thing manuals are more fun to drive.

Yep, I also favor manuals, but Auto's make it a lot easier to drive slow, unless you need the engine braking that a manual wil give you.

Rob $.02

If you haven't driven using a manual tranny all your life...don't use one offroad. There is to much to think about to also have to think about the clutch and starting on a hill.

I would rather have a manual tranny for any kind of offroading though.

all of my cars so far were std. but just just from some of the things i did in my tj that was stick i would imagine that with an auto it would be alot easier IMO.

andrew2516 said:
If you haven't driven using a manual tranny all your life...don't use one offroad. There is to much to think about to also have to think about the clutch and starting on a hill.

I would rather have a manual tranny for any kind of offroading though.

really, id like an auto with brett M's shifter... in a trail rig

In 4Lo, my manual will idle in first gear without the clutch

Back